SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i own a 1995 saab 9000 aero 5spd the turbo on it was good until i lost my license and the car was sitting at my house for a year,yesterday i had it towed to my mechanic so he can put a new clutch in(ceramic:cheesy: ) i asked him to check and see if the turbo had any play he said it was seized i tried turning it myself the exhaust and the intake side is seized we're hoping we can spray some
WD-40 on it leave it for couple days and try to unseize it (take it for a good ride around the block)

but the chances of it useizing it are very small i think, so my question is what can i get for it , i know i can get the stock rebuild but i wanna know who has some upgrades i heard someone mention a GT28RS, ballbearing,or any other turbo
does anyone know
1.- price
2.- where to get it
3.- is it direct bolt on

the car is stock(b234r)(tdo4) no catalic converter,performance muffler, cold air intake and a MBC at this point in the future i want to get the 3" JT and the SQR ecu upgrade
pls help

·
Registered
593 Posts
I unsiezed my aero turbo...

take the induction trunking off
put a socket on the turbine impeller
and free it off
take it slow at first
When I did this after it was freed off I spun it up using a cordless drill with the socket attached
took 15 mins
turbo lasted for 40 k miles after this ..(expired catistrophically when the exhaust turbine fell off )

worth a go ....

If you want to upgrade your turbo
there are some good ones to be had in the garrett range
I do not have the links here but I will post them later
(google garrett turbo ....)

28rs (disco potato) is a good one but there is newer variants available ..

good luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i actully did what you said last night after i posted this i couldn't just sit home while my saabi turbo was seized so i went down to my mechanics shop and sprayed the intake and the exhaust side with liquid wrench left it for a 15min to set took a 8mm socket and i got it to turn then i turned some more it has a hard spot i was planning to go today after work (midnight shift) after i pick up my 11-13lb flywheel and take a drill with a 8mm socket to it that should take care of the hard spot

the funny thing is that i just read this now it's like 8:00am here :cheesy:

thanks anyway ylee

i'm still interested in the upgrades since this turbo is on it's way out sooner or later if anyone has any info pls post

·
Registered
593 Posts
I will look tonite when I am home and post some links to some us sites...

cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i went to that site lots of different turbos but which one should i be considering i was thinking of the GT28R it's a price i could work with or the Garrett GT25/40R a little more $
thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
will they bolt up to my manifold, is the aero manifold a T25 style or a T3 style my knowledge is limited when it comes to swaping turbos
thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i love this forum everyone so helpful:cheesy:
but i got one more question which a/r be better for our cars .64 or .86
they say the turbo comes up on boost at higher rpm if the a/r is bigger and is better
thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sorry guys what do you mean by a/r?

Just been looking at that link and how do you know what will fit and what won't :roll:

Sorry about the basic questions, i'm just trying to understand it all my self.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
boxman said:
the tdo4 uses the same manifold as the t25 ;)
if there's a option to fit on that it means it'll fit on a aero exhaust manifold or anything with a td04
T25 exhaust manifold = td04 exhaust manifold
a/r is the size of the turbo housing

if i'm wrong pls correct me since i'm just getting it myself:cheesy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts