SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm seeing bubbles in the water bottle reservoir while the car is at normal running temperature (just slightly above the 1/2 way mark). I have read somewhere that this normally indicates a bad head gasket. The bubbles appear to be located near the smaller tube that goes from top radiator into the reservoir. The coolant looks Ok, and cant see any leakage. Is it the head gasket or just paranoia. I have recently purchased the car and havent driven it much at all, and Im yet to register it.
Also on another matter my left indicator dashlight does not work. I can hear the indicator and the external indicators work fine. What is the easiest way to replace this globe? Thanks guys

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are the bubbles large or small? Smallish bubbles coming from the smaller pipe is nothing to worry about (its actually what that pipe is there for) but large bubbles, can be the sign of a problem. Head gasket failure usually pressurises the coolant so that, if you let it warm up without the pressure cap fitted, coolant spews from the header tank.

Since you say the coolant is nice and clean, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
you can get to the dash light by taking the drivers side speaker out of the dash - it helps if you've got small hands - at least smaller than mine. The bulbs twist out -

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
To test whether those bubbles are exhaust gasses, have a hydrocarbons test done. It's cheap and simple. A garage will do it for you or you can buy a kit for cheap on EBay.

Better to identify a leaking headgasket early than risk a breakdown or engine damage.

Can't say I remember ever seeing a constant stream of bubbles (large or small) from that thin hose to the expansion tank.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all. I will get the test done. The bubbles are constant. I did fill the reservoir bottle to the max level before i started the engine, which I think I should have filled it to the min level when engine is cold.

·
Registered
44 Posts
vas011 said:
Thanks to all. I will get the test done. The bubbles are constant. I did fill the reservoir bottle to the max level before i started the engine, which I think I should have filled it to the min level when engine is cold.
Take care note to fill too much froozen mixture in the reservoir bottle,no more than the max even a little less than the max. Because every time I have filled the reservoir bottle at the max , or maybe a few more if the car was not perfectly level; after some kilometres I have a leak of froozen mixture under the car.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
vas011 said:
The correct level is max when hot.

Is the engine using any coolant?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Small bubbles and/or foaming is a good indicator of a bad headgaket. I went through this before.

Like Matthew said: a hydrocarbon test along with a compression test gives you a better idea.

White smoke out the exhaust? GO for a long drive, let the car get nice and warm. Let the car sit at idle for a minute the boot the throttle, if you get a bunch of white smoke your headgakset it kippered:(

Oil film in coolant?

Coolant in oil (like a milkshake). "Boogers" on the dipstick are normal, this is NOT a valid indicator.

You can always save the trouble of running around and just replace it anyways. The set is less than $75 and sometimes getting free hydrocarbon and compression tests is tough.

THis is the method I am going to take with my convertible, I most sure my bubbles are headgasket related.

Oh...if you take the coolant cap off and rev the engine (when warm) do you get even more bubbles? Mine looked like it was boiling over when I incresed the throttle.:x

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$75 is that for a headgasket?

Yes, there is foam and small bubbles, but no coolant leakage. I will check for the white smoke. When I purchased the car it did have a buggered crank pulley, so much that the rubber inside the pully was missing & pulley rubbing against the oil pump. Looked like it was driven for sometime like that. The poor car would have been screaming at the driver to have it fixed.

I opened the valve to check if there is any air pockets. When I open the valve there is no constant flow of coolant, is this normal? The coolant is expelled from the valve only when i accelerate. The pic below shows the temp needle. I think maybe a little to high at times The fan does kick in and it comes back down to half way, but back up again in no time.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts