SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all I just recently bought a 1999 9-3 sedan and it has an issue in the security system. When I turn the key all lights come on but won’t crank unless I press the unlock button on the fob. Sometimes I have to hold it and try several times other time just one push and it’ll start just fine. I’m thinking it’s a security system issue just unsure where to start. I have seen that the alarm system causes ignition issues but that works just fine if I hit the panic button or open the trunk without unlocking with the fob. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
553 Posts
Do you have a spare key?
I'd start by checking/changing the battery in the key/fob. - Rule that out first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a spare key?
I'd start by checking/changing the battery in the key/fob. - Rule that out first.
I only have one key. I don’t think it’s the fob because it locks and unlocks the car just fine

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey y’all I just recently bought a 1999 9-3 sedan and it has an issue in the security system. When I turn the key all lights come on but won’t crank unless I press the unlock button on the fob. Sometimes I have to hold it and try several times other time just one push and it’ll start just fine. I’m thinking it’s a security system issue just unsure where to start. I have seen that the alarm system causes ignition issues but that works just fine if I hit the panic button or open the trunk without unlocking with the fob. Thanks for your input
The security system is initiated 2 minutes after unlocking.
This is probably how it is meant to work.
On my 900S 1997 Hatcback, European, Norway (very similar to 9-3, 1998-2003) the ignition is inhibited 2 minutes after I have unlocked the car, without starting it. After 2 minutes it will crank and fire, but stops immediately.
Then I have to wait a few seconds (until I hear a click from a relay) and then lock with the remote control (and possibly unlock again). Then it works as expekted.
Just another mysterious swedish way of security. :)

By the way, what is "fob" ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The security system is initiated 2 minutes after unlocking.
This is probably how it is meant to work.
On my 900S 1997 Hatcback, European, Norway (very similar to 9-3, 1998-2003) the ignition is inhibited 2 minutes after I have unlocked the car, without starting it. After 2 minutes it will crank and fire, but stops immediately.
Then I have to wait a few seconds (until I hear a click from a relay) and then lock with the remote control (and possibly unlock again). Then it works as expekted.
Just another mysterious swedish way of security. :)

By the way, what is "fob" ?
The fob is the little clicker with the lock, unlock, and panic buttons on it. That’s what we call it here at least

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Ng900 has totally different security system than og 9-3.
Nate: You need another key ASAP.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
You will get key with integrated fob. You also need TECH2 for marry it to car.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Are you getting the "key not accepted" message? If so, there is a workaround that only works on the T5 9-3s...

Pulling fuse 35 (fuse panel on the end of the dash...inside the driver's door. Second row of fuses from the bottom...second one in from the right...should be a 15 amp fuse) disables the TWICE. Because the T5 cars only cut ground to the starter (T7 has an extra layer of security and this does not work with them), when the TWICE is disabled, it does not cut the ground.

Pull fuse 35...start car...replace fuse 35 and drive. Ignore/clear the key not accepted message that will appear after you replace the fuse. The only thing I found that did not work was the OBD2 port, so it is not a long term fix if you need the port to pass state emissions. You can drive without the fuse, but more things will not work...turn signals, radio, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you getting the "key not accepted" message? If so, there is a workaround that only works on the T5 9-3s...

Pulling fuse 35 (fuse panel on the end of the dash...inside the driver's door. Second row of fuses from the bottom...second one in from the right...should be a 15 amp fuse) disables the TWICE. Because the T5 cars only cut ground to the starter (T7 has an extra layer of security and this does not work with them), when the TWICE is disabled, it does not cut the ground.

Pull fuse 35...start car...replace fuse 35 and drive. Ignore/clear the key not accepted message that will appear after you replace the fuse. The only thing I found that did not work was the OBD2 port, so it is not a long term fix if you need the port to pass state emissions. You can drive without the fuse, but more things will not work...turn signals, radio, etc.
I’m not getting any messages although I did try to scan codes the other day but my obd2 scanner didn’t accept the car

·
Registered
18,042 Posts
First, this is somewhat normal behavior for a specific condition: The vehicle has not recognized the key. Pressing a button on the FOB is a built-in bypass for the "Key not accepted" situation.

Question 1: Has it ever worked properly for you or was it like this when you bought it?
Question 2: I'm confused a little by you suggesting you "pressed the panic button", because our cars don't have that feature. Can you post a photo of your key / remote? I'm wondering if you have something aftermarket that's not compatible.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Bob and others - will the sequence of 6+ remote unlock then lock work in this case - or is that only recommended after a fob battery change?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First, this is somewhat normal behavior for a specific condition: The vehicle has not recognized the key. Pressing a button on the FOB is a built-in bypass for the "Key not accepted" situation.

Question 1: Has it ever worked properly for you or was it like this when you bought it?
Question 2: I'm confused a little by you suggesting you "pressed the panic button", because our cars don't have that feature. Can you post a photo of your key / remote? I'm wondering if you have something aftermarket that's not compatible.
It has been like that since I bought it. Not sure how to get a picture on here but here is a link to an image keyless remote control1999 Saab 9.3 99 Vehicle entry transmitter keyfob key FOB | eBay

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is very possible it’s a different button but they are worn out on mine and when I pushed it the alarm started going off so I just assumed

·
Registered
553 Posts
OK Nate - when you stated 'all the lights come on' is that associated with the alarm / unlock process?
you can lock/unlock/start the car with the key only, without using the remote fob. Remember the fob also activates the alarm etc.
The alarm has to be de-active mode. ie don't lock using the alarm fob.

I have 2 keys, 2 fobs, but only 1 fob works. I keep that working fob in a safe place for emergencies only. I lock the car via the OG key in the door method.

My suggestion - use the key only, until you can obtain/find a second key. You don't want your fob to break - if you can avoid it.
The downside to this method, is your car wont have an active car alarm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK Nate - when you stated 'all the lights come on' is that associated with the alarm / unlock process?
you can lock/unlock/start the car with the key only, without using the remote fob. Remember the fob also activates the alarm etc.
The alarm has to be de-active mode. ie don't lock using the alarm fob.

I have 2 keys, 2 fobs, but only 1 fob works. I keep that working fob in a safe place for emergencies only. I lock the car via the OG key in the door method.

My suggestion - use the key only, until you can obtain/find a second key. You don't want your fob to break - if you can avoid it.
The downside to this method, is your car wont have an active car alarm.
so my issue is when I try to start with the key I have to press the unlock button on the fob for the engine to actually turn over, so if I'm hearing you correctly if I leave the fob at home and just use the key that won't be a problem and I can start it up?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts