SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I plan purchasing the Saab factory roof rack. Ith does not come with any locks (when securing it o the roof). I want to use some type of security screws (torx with pins). I tried finding them in local hardware stores (Lowes), but they don't carry them. can someone point me to the place either local or online where I can get these?

Also, I heard that the screws are M6 x 25 mm. Is this true?

Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Try a google search on "tamper resistant fasteners" You don't find this stuff at Lowes or Home Depot - otherwise it wouldn't be very tamper resistant. You need a specialty fastener place.

There's a Fastenal store (www.fastenal.com) in Rockville, and in Sterling. They can typically get this kind of stuff for you, but they make you buy minimum quantities (like 50 pieces or so)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I did some experimenting when I lost the allen wrench to the bolts for my thule kit. Ran back and forth from home depot to my car trying different sizes.. granted it has been a few months but I could swear it was 35mm... not sure about m6.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use a M5 allen wrench but not sure about the length.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am looking for these screws:

Nyone have idea where to find it and which size?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Dunno, but I have a nice set of bits for removing said security screws.....

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
My factory Saab roof rack (C-track variant) already came with the security torx screws. If I am not mistaken, so should yours....or has something changed within the last year or so.

Paul

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I did not realize that it already cams with security screws. Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the Saab (Thule) square bars and they came with standard Allen screws, not sthe security ones.

·
Registered
251 Posts
brunp said:
My factory Saab roof rack (C-track variant) already came with the security torx screws. If I am not mistaken, so should yours....or has something changed within the last year or so.

Paul
As did mine. I got mine with my 2005 model...don't think anything has changed from then. I got the C-trac bars, not the square ones though, but that shouldn't make a difference either way.

·
Registered
198 Posts
ski_sa:

The standard square bar rack kit for the 2003+ 9-3 SS is:
Saab part number: 12797738
Thule part number: 758 Specialty Carrier

The M6 x 25mm security screws are included with either kit. Unfortunately, if you need replacement screws, you are out of luck unless you want to pay $50 for a parts bag (Thule PN:1260-99-11) that includes lots of parts that you might not want/need.

Thule Spare Parts List - 758 Specialty Carrier
http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product_spare2.asp?dept_id=53&sku=758

Thule Manual - 758 Specialty Carrier Parts, Materials, Cost List
http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/manuals/758.pdf

Thule Instructions - 758 Specialty Carrier
http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/instructions/501544602,%20758.pdf

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
hmm......when I asked for screw replacement and a possible Allen Key replacement, Saab Parts was requesting $70 for that alone. I ended up going to a local Nuts and Bolts store and got the screws I need for no more than $1.98/screw.

Paul

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mine rack came with the security screws but that was in '03. You can a wide variety of security screws at your local ACE Hardware store.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Everyone has to remember that they are called security screws for a reason. Let's face it, anybody can go to their local hardware store and buy M6 x 25mm socket head cap screws. Hell, even I did it. But it did not give me any sense of security that the screws could be removed by anyone with a set of allen wrenches, and it certainly did not help me when trying to adjust the other security screws on the rack feet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for the reply. Just to sumarize ... the roof rack (fix point) comes with security screws (torx with pin).

However, I mentioned this in the other thread before. The THULE UK (and most of the Europe) has much nicer looking rack. At least the foots are lockable. Ifyou have time go to:

http://www.thule.co.uk/appguide/

and check it out. The roof rack consists of:

- foot pack 751
- rapid fix point 3002
- bars (either t-track or square bars)

The foot pack is lockable. The older generation BMW 3-series uses the same setup/parts. Can someone confirm whether BMW parts fit the Saab?

For some reason THULE USA does not offer this package!?

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts