SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the 1990 C900 vert I bought a few months ago actually still had the three piece retracted top covers stored in the original storage bag in the boot. I installed them a few times and have it down to about 10 minutes to get everything in place (as opposed to 15 seconds on my 9-3 vert). What I have not done is driven with them in place. Despite everything being intact (clips, rubber bands, tension springs) I really worry that the first time I hit highway speed I'll see the side wings fly off in the rear view mirror while the cross member flips back and beats the hell out of my trunk lid. I'm considering drilling a few holes thru them, fitting with rubber grommets and coming up with some sort lanyard system to at least keep them attached the the car if they should come loose. As I said - everything is in place and in good repair, but it just seems to be a questionable design. Anybody have enough experience to tell me if I'm being paranoid or not? Or is there a good reason they were dubbed "parade covers"?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Pictures sure would help...I have a '91 'vert, and have no idea what you're talking about!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have them for my convertible and have used them in the past without them flying off at interstate speeds. You're being paranoid! Though I haven't used it in a while and have forgotten exactly how they attach...I can put the covers on tonight, maybe you're missing some attachment hardware if you feel that they're not secure?

Dustin

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Socal...
The "technical" term is Tonneau covers, which came as original requipment with all C900 verts. Most pre-owned C900's I've seen on the market today no longer have them (lost, broken, or just deemed a general pain in the butt). I called them parade covers since they are a nonessential cosmetic cover for the retracted top that I've been afraid to use at anything over parade speed. Even with everything secure and snug I can fit a couple of fingers under the leading edge of the side sections and lift them up out of the spring clips without a lot of effort. Was worried that if they got a blast of 75 MPH wind under them they would lift up. If they did I don't see the small clips that hook them into the rear section would do much to keep them in the car.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I can tell you, the tonneau covers are secure at well over 100mph, if they are fitted properly. The rubber straps at the front must be fitted on the toggle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've used mine on the highway several times now at up to 75mph with no problems. I would advise pulling the clips on either side of the center piece out for a tighter "snap". Also, make sure the toggles are pinched in the trunk and the front loops are secured (you may have to dig a bit to find them in the top material behind the head rests.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm confident the large cross piece isn't going anywhere. The "rubber bands" and pins are in good shape, as is the webbing that slips into the trunk gap. In fact i wish the rubber bands were a little looser. Tough to get my fat fingers between the tonneau and the head rest to pull them up and over the two pins. It's the way the spring clips hold the leading edge of the side pieces that was concerning to me. Guess there is only one way to find out! ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree, those rubber flaps are quite tough to latch. I just pulled the spring clips out to make them snap in tighter. Good piece of mind.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Parade boot, or boot cover...I have them and use them when I'm not going to drive with the top up for a while or any extended freeway drive. And they are very secure on the highway, that I can attest to. They keep the top protected and also keep road grime off of your headliner.

Ps: I always thought of a tonneau cover as a larger snapped in cover that covers the open cabin when the top's down, except for the driver's seat that is. At least that's what they were called last I remember.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Parade boot, or boot cover...I have them and use them when I'm not going to drive with the top up for a while or any extended freeway drive. And they are very secure on the highway, that I can attest to. They keep the top protected and also keep road grime off of your headliner.

Ps: I always thought of a tonneau cover as a larger snapped in cover that covers the open cabin when the top's down, except for the driver's seat that is. At least that's what they were called last I remember.
I agree with your PS. I'd always heard of the hard covers for any retracted convertible top, being called the boot. And like you said, the tonneau is what covers up the seating area when the top is retracted. I'm sure the terminology differs, depending upon which side of the pond you live. And yes... I've used mine a bunch and it has never moved a bit. Disclaimer: I am certainly not the authority on the aformentioned terminology... Vert owners are free to call it anything they like. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I've driven quite a lot with the covers on, both freeway and in town. I've also driven on rougher gravel roads with them in place, but not even the worst of the washboards or cattleguards (Texas gates) in the road seems to shake them loose. Even at freeway speeds up to 85mph there has never been anything even remotely close to an issue (southern Utah test strip, so it was even a legal 85mph). They hold on just great.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I agree with your PS. I'd always heard of the hard covers for any retracted convertible top, being called the boot. And like you said, the tonneau is what covers up the seating area when the top is retracted. I'm sure the terminology differs, depending upon which side of the pond you live. And yes... I've used mine a bunch and it has never moved a bit. Disclaimer: I am certainly not the authority on the aformentioned terminology... Vert owners are free to call it anything they like. :cheesy:
In the UK the boot is what you call the trunk. We call the part in question the tonneau cover. A tonneau is a cover over unoccupied seats in a convertible as the man said. The tonneau cover covered the tonneau when it was rolled back when the seats were occupied. I think the word comes from the french meaning barrel when the early covers over the rear seats did look a bit like a barrel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I guess I'll just stick with calling them "parade covers".
Thanks for the replies everyone.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Certs is a candy! Carts is a breath mint!

:cheesy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts