SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 87 900 turbo on CL for 700 dollars. the engine runs great and the body and interior is in good condition, but second gear is out, all other gears work well. What would be the likely cause for the second gear to go out and can that part be replaced or would i need a new gearbox? Last question is this a good deal or should i walk away? Thank you for the advise

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I found a 87 900 turbo on CL for 700 dollars. the engine runs great and the body and interior is in good condition, but second gear is out, all other gears work well. What would be the likely cause for the second gear to go out and can that part be replaced or would i need a new gearbox? Last question is this a good deal or should i walk away? Thank you for the advise
Describe "out". Usually it's the syncros and 3rd gear probably isn't far behind. Does it jump out of gear or does it just grind? Is 3rd starting to jump out of gear?

The part(s) can be replaced, but you'd also want to replace a few other things in a worn out transmission. Reverse may be close to it's end, pinion bearings should be replaced, syncro springs and retainers may be getting fatigued, and the syncros themselves while you are there. Typically, the forward gears are good as is the laygear, but you may find a bad one if the problem is old and the previous owner insisted on abusing it. Then there's the periferals such as the clutch, hydrolic line from master to slave, slave cylinder, rear seal, clutch shaft seal and pilot bearing. If you are replacing the transmission with either a reconditioned/rebuilt unit or a used one, these also are things that may need attention while you're in there.

Personally, I wouldn't pay over $100-200 for a typical 900 with a bad transmission. If it were an SPG, up to $400, but no more unless it were really remarkable otherwise.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I agree spending any amount on a car with a bad tranny really depends on the rest of the car. 2nd gear is known to develop grinding issues (due to sycro wear). I wouldn't rule out a car with this issue b/c it can still last thousands of miles!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the rest of the car is in perfect working condition everything works great it only has 150000k and the only thing wrong with it is that second gear is out

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If it's the '87 I saw on the Pheonix CL (light green at dealer), then that's too much in my opinion. The paint looks like it's a little faded, it appears to be missing the door guard trim strip on the drivers side, and the front bumper is missing the trim strips and looks like it was well used for parallel parking. The hood is not sitting quite right, the grille is broken, and one of the fog lights is broken off/missing as if it's rear ended someone. The interior has the typical Saab ailments; door cards, glove box door (probably lots of dash crack I'd bet), drivers seat ready to start tearing if it hasn't already, and no photo of the headliner which is probably bad. I run into cars in this condition for $700 all the time with working transmissions. With a bad transmission, I'd be offering $300 at most, probably less. I'd also be checking if it has a salvage title.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
IMO a c900 with a bad gearbox is worthless unless it's an SPG and has a bunch of nice parts on it.
If you buy it and you need a good gearbox, I have one from an 85 SPG with engine attached for $700.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts