SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I drive a 99' 9-3se automagic (!)

This is just an idea at this point in my head, but I belive that I have heard of people putting a second transmission fluid cooler into their cars? I completely see the benefit of doing this, but has anyone ever *done* it on this forum?

I'd love to hear the difficulty rating and if you think it was worth it or not...

Thanks,
Bny

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Does the 9-3 auto have both an oil cooler and a tranny fluid cooler?

Installing a remote oil/tranny cooler is relatively easy, as you have enough room right behind the grille. Both Summit Racing and Jegs carry them.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Rather than a second cooler maybe a larger aftermarket one would be a better solution. Adding a second would increase complexity a lot. If you add it in series, that would double pressure losses (roughly), and your pump may not have enough Ummpphhh to push the fluid through. If you add it in parallel, you could cut losses in half (roughly) but the hose connections would be tricky. You’d need Two Y connectors, and all the plumbing in between.

I have often heard it said that adding a tranny cooler often increases your chances of transmission failure due to the possibility of leaks. If you were diligent, and watched carefully, you could avoid anything disastrous but there are no warning lights or temp lights in most cars. Since the fluid is only pumping when the car was running, it would be difficult to notice leaks. Still it can and is done! As an example, in our commercial trucks the addition of a external tranny cooler for Alison transmissions is a 1700 dollar option. While it costs far less in materials, we charge so much for it because of increased complexity in building it, and to provide a buffer on the warranty side of things when and if they do fail.

If it were me, I'd look into adding a transmission oil temperature gauge. Then I could accurately monitor temps, compare them to acceptable temps, and shut the car down if they got out of line. That seems safer and easier to me. Plus, I love to watch gauges! The Sid in the Saab keeps me quite entertained on long trips!

Tboy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts