SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after cleaning my pleather/leather flat seats today on my 08 SC, I came to realize what I really want is the bigger bolstered Aero seats. I also realized that I can't afford to buy a complete seat from an Aero.

Then I came across this ebay post for just the leather seat covers from an 08 Aero : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-Saab-9-3-Aero-passenger-front-seat-leather-covers_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439e1d7524QQitemZ290415539492QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It got me thinking/wondering: Do those "seat covers" have the cushioning with them too? The upper half seems to have the bolster foam built in so its possible the lower half does too. Does anyone know if I could swap Aero seat cushions onto my regular seat frames? I have the cold weather package, and memory on the driver side. If I could find a set of parchment Aero seat cushions f/r (or parchment natural leather fronts only) for prices similar to whats advertised here, I'd be a happy camper.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Digging through my WIS software (for the first time, just got it the other day... the new that has the 08+ models!) I discovered that upholstery and cushions are separate parts. Judging by the ebay auction they are offered together (the upholstery is stapled to the cushions, then strapped/attached to the seat frame. What I don't know how to find on my WIS is part numbers for the cushion/upholstery so I can start searching the internet.

Does anyone have a resource that could help me locate part numbers for the front seat upholstery + cushions? I'd need Aero parts for both obvi. Part nums for the natural leather option would be even better as they don't have contrasting color insert - and I wouldn't have to replace my rear seat materials as a result. I'm guessing natural leather seats + cushion could easily top $1000, but who knows maybe I can find a source for less.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
My former employer made those (among many other components) for GM. And no, the frame is different to accomodate the extra pads and so forth.

My suggestion is, if you want the new covers, make sure you find a good upholsterer that knows how to work with foam and leather. Get him all the info from WIS related to the seats so that he doesnt screw up the internal wiring and at the end of the day, you end up with nice comfy and supportive seats. If done right, they are better than stock. If done wrong, you'll want to burn them to the ground.

So after cleaning my pleather/leather flat seats today on my 08 SC, I came to realize what I really want is the bigger bolstered Aero seats. I also realized that I can't afford to buy a complete seat from an Aero.

Then I came across this ebay post for just the leather seat covers from an 08 Aero : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-Saab-9-3-Aero-passenger-front-seat-leather-covers_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439e1d7524QQitemZ290415539492QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It got me thinking/wondering: Do those "seat covers" have the cushioning with them too? The upper half seems to have the bolster foam built in so its possible the lower half does too. Does anyone know if I could swap Aero seat cushions onto my regular seat frames? I have the cold weather package, and memory on the driver side. If I could find a set of parchment Aero seat cushions f/r (or parchment natural leather fronts only) for prices similar to whats advertised here, I'd be a happy camper.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that stinks, I was so hoping I could just swap the cushion over.

I had thought about reupholstering, and there are probably a few good shops in the Chicago area... though the cost might up being similar to just buying Aero seats outright. Hmmm things to consider.

Maybe I'll ask a dealer how much it would be for a pair of front Sport seats in natural parchment leather. If the option is $2000, maybe just the seats are more reasonable. Then again, I kinda doubt it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nevermind, I just found an ancient link where someone wanted to do this back in '04 and the cost of cushions alone was like $4k dealer retail. LOL. You can find whole seats on Ebay for stock cars around $550...

So if anyone hears about a parchment Aero interior getting dismantled, or needs a buyer shoot me a PM lol.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just took 2007 Aero Seat covers (foam and leather) and placed them on my 2003 Linear seat frame. No issues. I first tried to install the seats with out skinning them but the air bag and pressure sensor in the passanger seat is different. They feel great and really hold me in the corners.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just took 2007 Aero Seat covers (foam and leather) and placed them on my 2003 Linear seat frame. No issues. I first tried to install the seats with out skinning them but the air bag and pressure sensor in the passanger seat is different. They feel great and really hold me in the corners.
WHOA, now this is good news!

Where did you get the Aero seat covers, and for how much?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I bought the complete seats front and rear on Ebay for almost $800. I just took the leather and foam off of these seats and put them on my linear seat frames. That way I wouldn't have to rewire the airbag and pressure sensor. So you can buy Aero skins and foam and they will fit. At least for 03-07. My Aero seats are 07 and my seat frames from my original seats are 03 beings my car is an 03.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the complete seats front and rear on Ebay for almost $800. I just took the leather and foam off of these seats and put them on my linear seat frames. That way I wouldn't have to rewire the airbag and pressure sensor. So you can buy Aero skins and foam and they will fit. At least for 03-07. My Aero seats are 07 and my seat frames from my original seats are 03 beings my car is an 03.
I'm 99.9% sure that the 08 seats are again identical frame wise, and aside from the premium natural leather option should be identical for both cushion and upholstery. Did you sell your original seats? I see original seats on ebay for 3-400 for the pair... useful if I want to defray the upfront cost of the new seats.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I still have the originals. I created metal stands for the seats and put the linear covers on the aero frames. Welded them together and now have seats and a suedo couch in my garage for friends to sit around on. :D

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Like I mentioned, they are different, they have more padding/foaming etc for the simple fact that the covers are larger (bigger bolsters, etc) so there needs to be more material inside.

And again, like I mentioned, just find a good upholstery guy to properly glue and shave the foam and you'll be set.

I'm 99.9% sure that the 08 seats are again identical frame wise, and aside from the premium natural leather option should be identical for both cushion and upholstery. Did you sell your original seats? I see original seats on ebay for 3-400 for the pair... useful if I want to defray the upfront cost of the new seats.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just concerned with any frame differences as in an 03 linear frame is the same as a stock 08 frame - and more importantly that the Aero seat frames were identical to the frames found inside the flatter seats... I see what happened 96mn12 you are talking about the upholstery + foam padding - which I already assumed was different (I mean just look and sit in it!)

My big concern was if there would be a hardware difference, ie if the the frames changed. It seems to be that frame is the same part on all Saab 9-3s, regardless of year, regardless of what upholstery/foam combo is strapped to it. Which means one can mix and match foam/upholstery (together in unison) from different models.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
yes the frames should be the same. reason was that saab didnt want the aero to have a safer seat because of a more bolstered seat frame. so the only thing thats different is the padding, i think its the same with the 9-5 seat. this was discussed on saabsunited a few years ago

1 - 13 of 13 Posts