SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my Saab 93 1.8t convertible has a fault. the top 30cm or so back vinyl shell of the driver's seat has pulled away from front it clips around, on the driver's side nearest the door. Like like an open clam. The two pieces are not a snug fit. Tried applying various glues, gorilla, impact adhesive etc but there's a lot of pressure seems no plastic glue can do this. Glad to talk to anyone else who might have had this. Have a good day!
Car Motor vehicle Light Vehicle Automotive design
Automotive design Plant Car seat cover Motor vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Looking at it again, what's happening is the leather pulling away from the interior padding of the seat. Really the leather needs to be glued back onto the padding. THEN glued to the back 'shell' Just glueing the leather to the rear part will just tend to pull the leather further away further off the seat padding. Any upholstery experts in the house?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or maybe epoxy glue might be a less err... dramatic way. It would give you more time to use clamps to pull it in?
Thank you so much this is what I've tried, with clamps, there is so little surface area on the broken tabs that contact with the slot in the back shell, that the glue that has contact just fails when I sit on the driver's seat. I have tried superglue too, and it hates the plastic of course.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I wonder if you work on that rear panel with a heat-gun to soften it so you can persuade it back into position. I wonder if it was sitting in the sun for a long time, causing that 'clamshell panel' to distort, bending backwards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if you work on that rear panel with a heat-gun to soften it so you can persuade it back into position. I wonder if it was sitting in the sun for a long time, causing that 'clamshell panel' to distort, bending backwards.
hi thank you so much for this piece of advice. I would be concerned about deforming the plastic. The two parts will go together ok with some encouragement they are a little bit flexible, but when I sit on the driver's seat (i'm only 80kgs) they just "ping" apart again after a couple of journeys. The tabs just seem too small to give the surface area needed for good adhesion to the opposite clam.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well, my theory is that the plastic NEEDS to be re-formed. I find it hard to believe that the factory made it like that, though I suppose it's possible. The point being that it's possible that that clamshell plastic part has over the years de-formed, shrinking backwards, causing your problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.