SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for Seat Cover Driver Side part number 5134317. It's the leather cover with the "holes" which let the air through. Beige or Sand color.

SAAB lists it as: No Longer Serviced.

Any ideas where to source that? US, Europe, whatever....

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
They come up sometimes on eBay, and look for someone locally selling or parting a car and you can go get the seat bottom. BTW, same seat cover for either side so get the passenger side since those are usually in better shape.

Changing the skin is not horribly difficult, you have to deal with those upholstery clamps that can be done without the proper tool but if you have one it makes it easier.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They come up sometimes on eBay, and look for someone locally selling or parting a car and you can go get the seat bottom. BTW, same seat cover for either side so get the passenger side since those are usually in better shape.
Good thinking.

Changing the skin is not horribly difficult, you have to deal with those upholstery clamps that can be done without the proper tool but if you have one it makes it easier.
I seem to have found a local guy who does upholstery and leather and sent him a picture of the "damage". He says he has a sand color piece of "ventilated" leather and IF color matches, he can switch ONLY that part (just the center part of the seat, where one's rear end rests and scrapes the frigging surface over time, as it were) for about $130. (Sounds expensive?)

He's not too far away so I can always go and check the leather out and see if it matches.

Would be much better to get the whole piece, though.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I'd hold out for finding one

When I went through this I got a non-ventilated seat cover and put it on there until I could find a "real" one. Took a couple of months but I finally found one.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Good thinking.

I seem to have found a local guy who does upholstery and leather and sent him a picture of the "damage". He says he has a sand color piece of "ventilated" leather and IF color matches, he can switch ONLY that part (just the center part of the seat, where one's rear end rests and scrapes the frigging surface over time, as it were) for about $130. (Sounds expensive?)

He's not too far away so I can always go and check the leather out and see if it matches.

Would be much better to get the whole piece, though.
That is not expensive for a couple hours of work. Not to mention it take skills to learn the trade.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still looking for that seat cover, color "sand" or "tan" (interior code is L08), needs to be ventilated.
Been chasing a "source" for 3 or 4 months now, he keeps telling me he has it, just needs to get around to taking it off one of the used or wrecked 9-5's on his lot, etc. He's really winding me up....
Have looked on amazon and ebay, no luck.
Any ideas where I could source this part number 5134317 ?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Ventilated seats were a rare option. Keep checking eBay and junkyards. One will turn up eventually. There was a green 9-5 wagon with mint condition tan ventilated seats at my nearest Pick and Pull a few months ago, but it's since been sent to the crusher. They do exist, but you have to be ready to jump on it when one shows up. Either that, or go with your local guy. It's amazing what a good upholstery shop can do with old damaged leather.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ventilated seats were a rare option. Keep checking eBay and junkyards. One will turn up eventually. There was a green 9-5 wagon with mint condition tan ventilated seats at my nearest Pick and Pull a few months ago, but it's since been sent to the crusher. They do exist, but you have to be ready to jump on it when one shows up. Either that, or go with your local guy. It's amazing what a good upholstery shop can do with old damaged leather.
I've been traveling so haven't been able to visit my "local upholsterer." I'm sure he can do it (has the skills) but it's really a matter of having the right piece of ventilated leather, that's hard to find.
I'll visit him once I'm back and see; unless I am able to source a seat cover, which would be better.

I keep trying junkyards but Saabs very hard to find indeed....

And checking Ebay and Amazon....

Saab owners must be nuts--all of my buddies telling me to "dump this thing already".... How can I explain..... Sigh....

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
There is something special about these cars that non-Saab owners can't understand. :cheesy: I'm hoping to buy a 9-5 with tan ventilated seats to use as a parts car. If I do get it, I'd be willing to part with a seat cover.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I seem to have finally sourced a beige/sand ventilated driver's side seat cover. Might even be new. I have to dive about 150 miles one way to go see it and buy it if it fits.
The guy at the used car dealership seems to want $250 to $300 for it. Just for the cover, doesn't include labor (which I may have done closer to me, locally).

That sounds a bit high in terms of price. Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I've got a brand new non ventilated sear cover for a 2002 if you want that
What color is your seat cover? I might take you up on it. My driver side is a bit worn. I have the cream colored leather (not tan...lighter than that.) I'm not sure if that's considered beige/sand or not.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
So, I seem to have finally sourced a beige/sand ventilated driver's side seat cover. Might even be new. I have to dive about 150 miles one way to go see it and buy it if it fits.
The guy at the used car dealership seems to want $250 to $300 for it. Just for the cover, doesn't include labor (which I may have done closer to me, locally).

That sounds a bit high in terms of price. Or am I wrong?
no comment on price but it's not THAT hard to do it yourself

plus you get the practice in taking the old one off. I've done it a couple of times and if you pay attention and work slowly you can do it on your own work bench with no special tools. (it would help to have one of those special pliers that do the ring things but you can do them with regular pliers and a needle nose to hold things in place)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts