SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend Mikeucr, from the Saab Events forum, came by to get acquainted and see my cars. He brought one his Saabs, a 2003 9-3 convertible. It was beautiful. The seats were especially outstanding and got my attention.

Does anybody know where to get information about Saab seat interchangeablilty? The leather seats in my 1990 SPG are very dry and on the verge of cracking. How difficult would it be to say adapt seats like Mike's 9-3 has? I'm thinking about getting some later model seats from a salvage yard. I can weld and have experience in metal fabrication.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It can be done. I had some seats from a '97 900SE in my old '86 SPG. The front of the rails mount to the car almost the same as the regular C900 seats. A couple of holes have to be drilled IIRC. The rear ends of the rails need to be cut back a bit and need to be propped up a couple of inches. I used some thick square steel stock. I used long bolts & nuts through the body of the car and sealed up the holes. I had this setup for about 4 years, and it worked great. The seats physically fit the space just fine, you just need to rig up the rails to mount to the floor. The seats I had were from a 4dr so they didn't have a quick fold forward feature, but they could be folded forward by use of the side crank enough for someone to get back there without too much trouble.
Here's a photo:

Good luck,
-Rob

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob,

Your seats look nice. Thanks for the input. That's just the kind of information I'm looking for. I think that you mentioned the key: that the seats fit properly in the space. If that's not right, nothing else will work. I'm going to look more closely at how Mike's '03 9-3 seats mount and take some measurements.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aerobar,

I'm so appreciative. Those are exactly the seats I want and was hoping would fit in my 90 SPG. The thread you sent removes all doubt. I plan to contact David Lytle and glean as much information as I can.

Thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Steve,
If those are "exactly" the seats you want, I think they came out of 9-3 Viggen (2002 or older). If they look like Mikeucer's seats in his 2003 9-3 Convertible (without the blue insert), I'd bet he has the "Sport Edition" that was a one year only for that car. To retain the "flip forward" release, you'll have to find them out of 3 door/vert or do "no" flip like Rob did. I know the newer SS (2003 on) doesn't have a 2 door model, and the SS vert (2004 on) have the seat belts built into the front seats.
I haven't seen any 9-3's in the pull a part yards around here, have you? I think they are still "too new" to make it to the pull a parts. Possibly regular salvage yards have them though.
As you can tell, I've been thinking about this a lot lately as well!!!
---Scott

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Are there any good aftermarket seats that are a direct fit in pre-facelift classic 900's? Either that, or are the seat bases interchangable enough so someone could take seats from a later c900 with a different base setup and attach them to bases from an early production c900?

Not sure I'd want full-on sports seats with multipoint harness seatbelts, but something to update from the standard velour sets would be nice. Thought about State-of-Nine's neoprene seat covers which would be excellent, but that still doesn't actually replace the stock seats with something better, and I think that's what the OP is on about here.

Craig.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scott,

Yep that's what Mike has, an 03 9-3 Sport Edition convertible.

You're right, there are no late model Saabs in the self serve salvage yards. I'm going to start looking around at the other yards. I'll let you know what I find out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts