SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching a little bit, looked at the EPS catalogue too, but thought I'd go to the experts for the straight scoop:

Will 1990 900 seats fit my 1987 SPG without any mods?

I really don't care if they are exactly the same, just want them to fit the mountings. I haven't gone to look at them yet (Craigslist) but may if they sound like they are in good shape. They sound like they may be the right color.

-Todd

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
seats are interchangeable until GM got there hands on Saab, when in 1991, 900's were fitted with seat mountings from the 9000.... so yes, a set of 90' seats will fit an '87.... to check, if the tipper lever is on the seat base, then they are the earlier mounts.... if the tipper is halfway up the seat back, then they are the later, 9000 mounts

hope that helps
G

ps, the other thing to remember is that convertible rear seats only fit convertibles, not 2,3, 4 or 5 drs

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The easiest way to tell is, do you have hooks on the back of your seats (instead of bolts)? The later style had 4 bolts instead of 2 bolts and 2 hooks. I would rather have the 9000 style, because then I would have Aero seats by now :roll: .

drg23 said:
ps, the other thing to remember is that convertible rear seats only fit convertibles, not 2,3, 4 or 5 drs
Yeah and 4 dr seats shouldn't fit a 3dr, but they sort of fit in mine! :nono;

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Saabeh said:
Yeah and 4 dr seats shouldn't fit a 3dr, but they sort of fit in mine! :nono;
they mount the same i think, just that the 2/4dr seat bases are more curved to ease rear passenger entry

G

·
Registered
252 Posts
to check, if the tipper lever is on the seat base, then they are the earlier mounts.... if the tipper is halfway up the seat back, then they are the later, 9000 mounts
In my 88, the tipper lever is halfway up the seat back. So you're saying that these are set on the 9000 mounting?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
i would say yes, they are from a 9000.... does the seat have a telescopic height adjuster on the outside of the seat base, or the handle at the front, under the crook of your knee (if that makes any sense)?

G

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
drg23 said:
seats are interchangeable until GM got there hands on Saab, when in 1991, 900's were fitted with seat mountings from the 9000.... so yes, a set of 90' seats will fit an '87.... to check, if the tipper lever is on the seat base, then they are the earlier mounts.... if the tipper is halfway up the seat back, then they are the later, 9000 mounts

hope that helps
G
Sortof correct, when Saab put the power-seatbelts in the 900 S 3-door for 1987, it also had 9000 seats, so did all the power seatbelt cars.

But a 1990 900 seat will fit an '87 SPG which doesn't have such belts...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I guess if the mounting setup looks somewhat like mine (hooks etc.) then I should probably be OK. My back seat isn't too bad but it could use some help, it's good to know that 3dr/4dr seats are kinda swappable.
-TH

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
900t said:
Sortof correct, when Saab put the power-seatbelts in the 900 S 3-door for 1987, it also had 9000 seats, so did all the power seatbelt cars.

But a 1990 900 seat will fit an '87 SPG which doesn't have such belts...
well, the UK never got power seat belts, so i was right over here, wrong over there ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up 900t. My car has (non functioning) electric seatbelts, therefore it has the 9000 seats. Telescoping lever to adjust height, and the slider bar under the crook of the knee...as drg23 said.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Seat Interchangeability - More info

Here's the answer as it applies to US models:

-- All c900's up to and including 1990 with regular seat belts (ie no passive restraints) will interchange
-- In 87, 88, 89, certain model 3 door cars had passive belts and all of these then also have 9000 style seats. These WILL NOT interchange to the other c900 seats; however they are direct swaps for 9000 style seats (minus seatback tilt functions).
-- Note, c900 4 door seats will swap to 3 doors, but you lose the tilt function in front and seat bottom cushion is slightly diff (but WILL fit) in rear)
--In USA in 1990 all c900's got airbags. So, 3 doors all had the "old style" seats and mounts.
-- In USA in 1991, all c900's switched to the 9000 style seats (that were already present in passive belt equipped cars)
-- If you try and fit a 9000 power seat to a later/passive c900, it WILL work and you CAN have power seats; however you'll have to do wiring. The 9000 power seats with memory are harder to wire by just a bit (I think this started in 1992 or so on CD models...)

I know the reason many people want this info is for swapping leather seat skins. Some things I've found. Leather covers can be swapped from manual seat 9000's (I think manual seat leather 9000's were only 86-88 or so) directly to 9000 style c900 seats.

If you try to swap 9000 style seat skins to the older c900 seat skins, you'll be disappointed. They don't fit right. And vice versa. Cushion foam and leather/vinyl patterns look the same but are different.

However, 9000 seat skins will swap directly to the 9000 style c900 seats (passive belt cars and 91-up c900s).

Hope that helps.
Ben

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh man that's good info!

Still no reply from my Craigslist dude with leather seats though. I really need some new seats pretty bad.

-TH

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Matthew, or nearest freindly Mod.... should we put this therad, or atleast a summarised version of it, into the FAQ section?

G

1 - 17 of 17 Posts