SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I have a 1992 Saab 900 turbo convertible. Overall, it is in good shape but but the front driver's seat is destroyed and the passenger seat is kinda bad too. Both do the thing where they twist when you try to recline. I have been unsuccessful in finding a matching replacement and I am wondering if I have any other options. Can I use a seat out of an NG900 maybe with minor modification? Or out of anything else for that matter? Has anybody ever attempted putting something completely different in there? I helped a friend put Porsche 944 seats in a Miata and it wasn't too bad. I am considering trying to make the seats out of a VW Corrado work in my 900.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
saab 9000 seats will fit and look ridiculously good

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
also std 2-3dr 900 seats will fit but don't get any pre 1990 as the base fit is different but I think you can swap the base rails over, but with using a different saet eg VW you might need to chaeck the fixing holes in base of seat, as the car base has threaded sections, you can't just fit them anywhere?/

·
Registered
731 Posts
StateofNine sells perfectly fitted covers and you can sometimes find new OEM seat upholstery on eBay.

Do the 9000 seats have a lever to pop the seats forward for back seat access?

·
Banned
35 Posts
StateofNine sells perfectly fitted covers and you can sometimes find new OEM seat upholstery on eBay.

They do not but I doubt you would miss it much. The 9000 seats have the roller at the side of the seat, so you can access the rear no problem. Or you can get power seats from a 9000. You also gain a Back Lumbar for the driver and passenger (depending what year seats from 9K might be driver only).

Its the better option, especially if you prefer an original look. Every 900 I have seen wityh after market seat covers looks posey and hardly appealing. Just an opinion though.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
They never needed it. The 9000 is four doors. I understand they can fit quite well, and are from memory comfortable, but I would hate to be without the tilt mechanism in my 900. I use it all the time, and not just for passengers.

·
Banned
35 Posts
They never needed it. The 9000 is four doors. I understand they can fit quite well, and are from memory comfortable, but I would hate to be without the tilt mechanism in my 900. I use it all the time, and not just for passengers.

9000 seats are more comfy than 900 indeed. in this case bigger is better;ol;. I would have no problem giving up the flip lever (some of them can be very sticky and quite difficult, especially for a lady. But equally, rolling the seat back forward all the time can also be a pain using the rear seat often..

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you want to keep the seats and find a replacement skin or cover for it like others have suggested, the twisted seat problem is a really easy fix. I pulled the steel cables from a newer 9000 seat (same lengths) and my seats are back to life.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If you want to keep the seats and find a replacement skin or cover for it like others have suggested, the twisted seat problem is a really easy fix. I pulled the steel cables from a newer 9000 seat (same lengths) and my seats are back to life.
Typically it's the plastic sheath that goes over the metal cable that breaks, allowing the cable to fall out. Do the 9000 seats have the same plastic sheath?

The sheath's (cable housings) are unbelievably expensive from here: http://www.thesaabsite.com/900old/seatcomponents.htm

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you fit electric, preferably memory seats, form a 9000 you can tilt the backs, allowing even more access tha the 900 seats.

There is a two way connector ready under the seats for the power connector. You may want to wire a permanent feed to the motor supply, or via a relay operated by the courtesy light as in the 9000, for convenience.
I'm looking into doing this on mine

You will also need to modify the heated seat control and wiring as the 9000 used an adjustable switch to control the seats.

Some minor wiring to be done but easier than mechanical issues with fitting any other make of seats. The 9000 seats are defiinitely more comfortable, especially if you get the winged aero seats.

Or if you are lucky you can get some seats from a c900!! 1990 onwards!

·
Banned
35 Posts
You will also need to modify the heated seat control and wiring as the 9000 used an adjustable switch to control the seats.
dont all the later model 900/9000 use adjustable heated seat controls? imm thinking no mods needed just plug and play... dunno

·
Registered
689 Posts
dont all the later model 900/9000 use adjustable heated seat controls? imm thinking no mods needed just plug and play... dunno
So it's been rumoured and it's in the Bentley as well, Don't know if was different for uk or I've just missed something. When I get the switches I will check again. Mines a 1992 vert so should have it if it was fitted as standard.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
most later UK models did'nt have the heat swirch for the seats as this is where the headlight rise and fall switch is situated, so you cant have both, the only one(out of 40x900's )I had with variable seat heat was a 1988, so wether that's when they started fitting them in uk or was an extra on the particular car I don't know, but all my others since have had rise and fall H/lights so no heat control. before that I think there was just a 'spare' or blanking plug

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
The 9000 used a heated set control. None of the late UK 900 had it.
That's interesting , I guess the UK market turning them down isn't an Option :)

The Only 900's I have seen ( OZ) that don't have the variable control are earlier base models up to around 87 .. even a base 89 900i I have has them .

I have fitted 900 skins onto a 9000 drivers base ( 3 door) to gain the Lumbar and electric seat adjustment , all plug n play . Worked well . Left a void where the tilt lever would be in the skin , but sewed that up .

Memory setting for back passenger works fine ...or as I prefer Passenger Side as it means they enter from the Curb ,

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've got the twisty seat backs as well... Can you re-cable them and use say copper tubing in place of the haggered plastic tubes? If not, I think I will look at making a couple adapters and getting some late model Grand Prix or Trans Am seats. Power everything and much more comfortable.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I paid $20 for the set I found, guess I still made out alright.
When I replaced the 4 cables in my front seats, I only had three cable housings, and based on what I read in here, I used some stiff fuel injection hose for the last cable housing, and it works fine. A MUCH cheaper alternative cable housing, works just fine, and is more readily available. With how little the power tilt back feature is used in my car, I'm sure the hose will last as long, if not longer, than the OEM cable housing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've got the twisty seat backs as well... Can you re-cable them and use say copper tubing in place of the haggered plastic tubes? If not, I think I will look at making a couple adapters and getting some late model Grand Prix or Trans Am seats. Power everything and much more comfortable.
fuel line works just make sure the steel cables are intact (one of mine wasn't snapped but was beginning to crease so it was replaced). You could probably pull cables from a 900/9000 in a junkyard, all you need is the star bit to remove the seat from the railings, and maybe a set of pliers if needed

1 - 20 of 25 Posts