SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a couple of ‘03 9-3 SE Convertible Sport Package aka Viggen seats a year or so ago. They’re black and my interior is tan. I threw them in and drove around for a year while contemplating swapping the interior. After I completed my engine rebuild, I decided “You know what, I like tan.” Being the autodidact that I am, the following happened...

I went down to my local body shop store, looked through the interior paint codes and found some good looking matches with SEM Classic Coat.
The shop mixed up a couple of samples for me to try. I experimented on the old seat.

Ended up settling with SEM Classic Coat #17423 Medium Cashmere
It’s has just a touch more white than the OEM ‘02 9-3 Beige
Time to get out the face mask and fans, let’s get to work!

Stripping the old dye with lacquer thinner and 3M green pads did the trick.

Then I used Leatherique Rejuvenator to hydrate the leather and cleaned again.

Filled cracks with Leatherique Crack Filler, let dry, then brushed in the SEM Sure-Coat sample that the store mixed up for me into the seams, piping and any other natural patina that I didn’t want to fill with crack filler. It also doubled as a guide coat for sanding the crack filler level and to avoid obliterating the leather grain.

The SEM Classic Coat is an aerosol. It lays down very nice on the substrate with several light coats.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Next, the seat back...

After four light coats.

I did topcoat it with Angelus Matte Acrylic Finisher
Go light with it. It seems to make the seat feel tacky if too thick. It’s weird stuff it’s almost milky when you first apply it.

·
Registered
17,408 Posts
One question: You hydrated the leather before painting... didn't the hydration product cause issues with paint adhesion?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One question: You hydrated the leather before painting... didn't the hydration product cause issues with paint adhesion?
The Leatherique products are very compatible with leather dye for some reason. Maybe because everything is water based. IDK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts