SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Last week...the fuel gauge level sensor...today, the seat belt retractor...way too many problems with this car.
This morning...while driving toward work...I heard something coming from my left shoulder...kind of a crack, like a spring unwinding and now the seat belt is completely out.
Is it difficult to replace it? Where can I buy this retractor?
Thank you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
replacement.

Thank you.
Yep...I've called them this morning...there's no recall on this part...price is 300 CAD...this sucks for real...
I was thinking to do the replacement by myself...is it complicated...?
Do I need any special tools?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
There's got to be a 5 year/ tons of miles warranty on these things. Did you ask your dealer specifically if this would be covered under any warranty?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes...but that's in US only (God bless America)...in Canada there's some other story...
I've called two dealers here in Montreal...same answer...no recall on that part...no nothing...
So...I'm going to buy the retractor and do the replacement by myself...I'm trying to find a good deal because it's kind of expensive...300 Cad as I said.
So... somebody please tell me where I can buy it at a reasonable price.
Thank you.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The junk yards..
But, I do not think that the country in which the car is sold would determine the warranty.
And I would also think that Canadian consumer protection is more stringent than ours.
Two things break and the car is junk ??:cheesy:

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
This is what mine looks like:

It just sits there "handicapped" and has to be hand fed to return to its place.
BUT I read on SaabsUnited there was again a new US recall .. I'll find it tomorrow .. promise.
David.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
The junk yards..
But, I do not think that the country in which the car is sold would determine the warranty.
And I would also think that Canadian consumer protection is more stringent than ours.
Two things break and the car is junk ??:cheesy:
The US leads the world in cheap cars and consumer protection isn't bad. In France, at least in the past, many car dealers wanted to sell other brands besides Renault but couldn't. Even in India, home of the cheap Tata Nano, cars are very expensive. Expect to pay more than double for a Volvo or BMW. There is no Saab importer.

I am looking for a metal seat belt buckle, possibly from someone with a broken part. Not looking for the cloth webbing, just the metal buckle. It's a long story.;oops: ...to prevent a boy who occasionally sits in the back seat from yelling "it not natural, nobody is sitting in the middle seat, unnatural:eek:, unbuckle the middle seat NOW!:x" :cheesy:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would love to learn about the US recall on this as mine is limp just like yours. This has happened to several of my cars over the years and I have always just fed it in. Its not a huge issue for me, but if its a recall I will get it replaced! Thanks!:lol:

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
I would love to learn about the US recall on this as mine is limp just like yours. This has happened to several of my cars over the years and I have always just fed it in. Its not a huge issue for me, but if its a recall I will get it replaced! Thanks!:lol:
Here it is: 2004 Saab 9-3

GM is recalling over 14,000 Saab 9-3 sedans due to a problem with the seat belt retractors that could fail over time. The belt may not retract properly, thereby increasing the risk of injury in a crash.
Dealers will replace the driver’s-side retractor free of charge and will also replace the passenger retractors for 10 years from the date of sale.
Owners may go to gmownercenter.com for more information.
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ca...ura-chrysler-dodge-honda-saab-and-toyota.html March 1, 2010.

Keep us informed, mine is MY'03 but purchased June '04. I live in France but it has already been recalled and changed about 3 years ago.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Here it is: 2004 Saab 9-3

GM is recalling over 14,000 Saab 9-3 sedans due to a problem with the seat belt retractors that could fail over time. The belt may not retract properly, thereby increasing the risk of injury in a crash.
Dealers will replace the driver’s-side retractor free of charge and will also replace the passenger retractors for 10 years from the date of sale.
Owners may go to gmownercenter.com for more information.
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ca...ura-chrysler-dodge-honda-saab-and-toyota.html March 1, 2010.

Keep us informed, mine is MY'03 but purchased June '04. I live in France but it has already been recalled and changed about 3 years ago.

Cheers.
the problem with this is most have already been replaced from what I have seen. The dealer will only replace it ONCE, even if the second one has failed. A lot of people are having their second retractor failing exactly like the first one. Its always worth asking the dealer though

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Note, it is nor a Recall. A recall would mean all springs would be replaced in all cars before/without them breaking. It is a service campaign/warranty extension limited to Springs that "break" in "Salt Belt" states (shear BS IMO). The springs will only be replaced after a break.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Note, it is nor a Recall. A recall would mean all springs would be replaced in all cars before/without them breaking. It is a service campaign/warranty extension limited to Springs that "break" in "Salt Belt" states (shear BS IMO). The springs will only be replaced after a break.
This is about seatbelt retractors, not springs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you everyone.
This forum is so helpful. I really appreciate your comments.
So...I've started to check the junk yards...nothing so far. It's going to take some time...
And...I wasn't yet able to find the part on the net.
For ''Dave37''...as soon as I'll change the part I'll send you that metal buckle...
Have a nice day...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
This is what mine looks like:

It just sits there "handicapped" and has to be hand fed to return to its place.
BUT I read on SaabsUnited there was again a new US recall .. I'll find it tomorrow .. promise.
David.
Off topic, but are those stock seats on a vector? they look like they are cooled like the 9-5s, but i didn't think that was an option

·
Registered
57 Posts

Well, while I was at the dealer last week I have them look into it and I was told I had it replaced back in 2005! Guess my wife forgot to tell me or put it in our car folder! The issue I have is that it is broken again and the service guy didn't seem to think they would fix it again! If they fix it with another junk part shouldnt they fix it NOW with a good part? I plan on speaking with the manager about it when I head in to pick up my SAI air pump on Wed. Hopefully they will take care of me! I will let you all know what ends up playing out.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Well, while I was at the dealer last week I have them look into it and I was told I had it replaced back in 2005! Guess my wife forgot to tell me or put it in our car folder! The issue I have is that it is broken again and the service guy didn't seem to think they would fix it again!
saab usa said i was SOL when this happened to me :roll:

hondas have a lifetime warranty on their seatbelts, somebody needs to learn from them

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.