SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my seatbelt recall done on Friday and ever since I got the car back the seatbelt does not feel right. Has anyone else noticed this?

I have searched several of the previous threads and I have not found one that gets at the differences. If one exists could someone please pass it along? I am trying to figure out if the dealer put in the wrong belts.

Basically, the belt feels cheaper, is now black and I have a gray interior and matches the rear seatbelts. Does anyone out there have pre and post recall pictures of their seatbelts?

The car details are: 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc, midnight blue, gray interior.

Thanks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Had mine replaced a short while back and they dont seem to offer the same resistance as you pull them out as the old ones did. I too thought they felt cheaper, but maybe I had gotton use to the way the faulty belt felt. At least the new ones retract, which was I believe was the reason for the recall in the first place.

I also suspect my dealer may have changed the rear belts also. I only say this as one of the belts had a wear mark on it which no longer appears to be there.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I noticed NO difference when mine was replaced. And to the author of the thread, you made it sound like origionally you didnt have a black seat belt, really?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CallipNCSUsaab said:
I noticed NO difference when mine was replaced. And to the author of the thread, you made it sound like origionally you didnt have a black seat belt, really?
Sorry for the confusion. That is the dilemma - I am not sure if they were originally black or gray. The situation went something like this - had the recall done, thought hey, these do not feel right, then I looked at them and thought weren't these gray?

Then I felt the cloth and thought this feels way cheaper. I went back to the dealer last night to look at other Saabs and saw a 9-5 with what I think had the belts I used to have. Different color and different inserts. The inserts looked like they had two parts. So now, I am really not sure. Most of the other 9-3s had the belts I now have, but were 2005s.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I really don't notice a major difference in color, they seemed to be twisted at the pilar more than before?

I still get the sid warning when I drive off without them on, how do I turn that off :cool: may need to dig deep in the Tech II options.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My replaced belts travel with much less resistance than the old ones. They also don't feel quite as substantial in terms of thickness, but that might be partially becuase of the reduced reistance.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I didn't really notice a difference in my belt. Mind you, I don't think I would remember a difference now since it has been a few months that it was in at the dealer for the bulletin.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Had mine changed a few weeks back. I haven't noticed any difference. Not that I was looking for any anyway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My interior almost looks white (not sure what they call it). I used to have seat belts that matched the light interior but now they are black after the replacements (front and back). It takes away from the overall look of the interior, and the new belts feel A LOT cheaper than the originals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chargy said:
My interior almost looks white (not sure what they call it). I used to have seat belts that matched the light interior but now they are black after the replacements (front and back). It takes away from the overall look of the interior, and the new belts feel A LOT cheaper than the originals.
Have you addressed this with Saab/GM?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Had my recall done yesterday. Noticed no difference in the quality of the seat belt or the resisitance of the mechanism.

·
Registered
96 Posts
saab_93 said:
Have you addressed this with Saab/GM?
Not worth it right now since I am currently in the buy back process with Saab legal. If all goes well I'll be in a new '05 anyway. If not, I'll have them fix it.

Speaking of which, anyone here who has the light gray interior have their set belts replaced? If so, what color did you get?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Chargy said:
Speaking of which, anyone here who has the light gray interior have their set belts replaced? If so, what color did you get?
Black.

/hauls keister up on soapbox/
I understand what many of you are saying about the new belts looking cheaper. I have also noticed that they have less resistance when pulling them from the pillar.
But...I am not a Restraints expert or engineer. I am an educated person who can spot cheapness like many of you. However, I am not quibbling with something I know nothing about. How do we know it's not a superior design? I don't. Sometimes I just trust that people know what the heck they're doing.
I'm happy that Saab/GM admitted that there was an issue, and had the cahones to issue a recall. Not a TSB, not a suggestion, a recall. That hurts the brand & marketing, but they're interested in our safety. For that I will continue to buy Saabs & feel safe in them.

/hauls keister off of soapbox/

·
Registered
650 Posts
Chargy said:
Not worth it right now since I am currently in the buy back process with Saab legal. If all goes well I'll be in a new '05 anyway. If not, I'll have them fix it.

having done a ****load of these recalls, i have yet to see any other color but black belts show up form parts. they all have the same two part numbers, regardless of interior color.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Chargy said:
I have a cream leather interior which is mostly white always had black belts and still have them after the recall. There's enough black in a car that I never thought hite/light would make a difference.

Yes, the new ones are a few microns thinner than the old ones but there are bigger things to consider in the whole scheme of life.

·
Registered
96 Posts
OZ-SAAB said:
I have a cream leather interior which is mostly white always had black belts and still have them after the recall. There's enough black in a car that I never thought hite/light would make a difference.

Yes, the new ones are a few microns thinner than the old ones but there are bigger things to consider in the whole scheme of life.
Glad it doesn't bother you but it bugs me that they can't even match the original color and quality that came with the car. Yes, ultimately it's not a big deal, but it's still annoying. I wonder if BMW takes short cuts like this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chargy said:
Glad it doesn't bother you but it bugs me that they can't even match the original color and quality that came with the car. Yes, ultimately it's not a big deal, but it's still annoying. I wonder if BMW takes short cuts like this?
Apparently you and I think alike. It bugs me, thus this thread, and I actually wondered the same thing about BMW.

Does anyone know if the part that receives the seatbelt was replaced under the recall as well, or more generally, if the seatbelts used in the 2003 Saabs were different from the belts used in the 2004 and 2005s?

Also, if anyone has pictures of their interior that shows the belts before the recall, I would still be interested in seeing them. Thanks.

·
Registered
650 Posts
the new seats belts are visually identical to the old ones. the defect was internal and only manifested it self in locking up or fraying the belt edges.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts