SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I had to take my seat belts off and realised the bolt had been cross threaded.

I tried to take it off slowly but the bolt twisted off!!!

The shaft is in the hole and the thread is all flat!, how on earth do i get this out?

I was thinking of cutting the shaft square and trying a spanner on it, but this would just twist off again?

Or i could drill the bolt? try and hollow it out and weaken it so maybe i could collaps the hollow bolt and drag it out?

Any alternatives would be great, there are other bolt holes but i want it to be as original as possible and the hole in the trim is only for that bolt hole.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
So has the bolt head sheared off, leaving the rest of the bolt still in the hole? Did you bolt loosen at all? They're torqued up fairly tight.

First thing I'd do is get a meaty pair of molegrips clamped down hard on the bolt shaft. You could lash the bolt with penetrating oil overnight (Plusgas works well) to help.

If that fails, cut the shaft down flush with the bodywork, centre punch it and drill the thing out. If the bodywork thread insert has been cross threaded then you'll need to replace that somehow anyway!

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the shaft is still very much in there, i will try and use some WD40 and centre punch it and then drill a shaft and try and thread the bolt on the inside with a reverse thread maybe? I am just making stuff up now.:roll:

·
4,637 Posts
Which car and which hole? If it's one of the under-rear-seat ones, you could use a nut out of a replacement belt (your local mechanic is sure to have a spare one lying around). OTOH, if it's in the door pillar (which you post suggests), you're looking at a body job to properly repair it. It might be possible to get a nut up inside the pillar from lower down and bolt up to that...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts