SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I try to take off my seatbelt, I press the red button, but the seatbelt does not pop out like it used to. It doesn't even make the clicking sound when removing anymore, but if I pull on it a bit, it pops out. Is there a way to fix this? Do I need to replace it? And if so, where can I get the part? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Every time I try to take off my seatbelt, I press the red button, but the seatbelt does not pop out like it used to. It doesn't even make the clicking sound when removing anymore, but if I pull on it a bit, it pops out. Is there a way to fix this? Do I need to replace it? And if so, where can I get the part? Thanks!
I had the same problem. It's possible (but not dead easy) to take the plastic buckle cover off to expose the guts of it, but when I did this it broke some of the little tabs that hold the two halves of the cover together, so when I reassembled it I had to wrap it with duct tape (the tape I used was black, and the tape is only noticeable if you look directly at the buckle, i.e. it's not glaringly obvious).

Once the plastic cover is off you'll see various slides and latches comprising the mechanism, which are too hard to describe in words and I can't recall the specifics of it in in any case. Repeatedly insert / un-insert the buckle tongue to see how the mechanism works and which parts of it may require lubrication, and whether or not any part of might be 'catching' in any way.

For lubrication I used a motor cycle chain lube spray (the kind that sprays on thin and then thickens into a light grease) to lubricate all the working parts of the buckle. Other lubes may work too.

Spray some lube into / onto the internal working surfaces of the buckle and insert / un-insert the tongue to 'work' the buckle and make sure the lube is where it needs to be.

Note that there is an electrical switch inside the buckle, which it would be better to avoid covering in lube (try and be a bit discriminating as to how much lube you use and exactly where you use it).

Access to the buckle in situ is a bit awkward no matter how you approach it. I detached the buckle from the seat to improve access, but the wiring for the switch still attaches the buckle to the seat, so undoing the attachment bolt only improves access to the buckle somewhat.

It should be possible to disconnect the switch if you can find where the connector is, but I decided it seemed likely to be too much trouble (I think it's located somewhere under the seat, but I couldn't find it). I would have preferred to take the buckle right out and be able to work with it unrestricted, but in the end I worked on it with it still partially attached by the wires.

Anyway, now, when I press the buckle button the belt just pops out with a very smooth feel / action. Initially the tongue would come out with some lube on it, but I repeatedly inserted / un-inserted the tongue numerous times wiping the lube off each time until it came out 'dry'.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
390 Posts
JL provides good advice, as usual. If you decide you want to replace it with a used part, I have a basement full of 9-5 parts including a good seat belt latch receiver stalk. They are different depending on the year. What year is your car?

Not trying to get rich. $10 plus shipping.

Send me an email at [email protected] if you are interested.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'm going to try JL's fix right now, but if that doesn't fix the problem, I drive a 2008 9-5 Aero.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was having the same problem with the driver's side seat belt. I was able to free it by liberally spraying the inside of the buckle with Sil-kroil. Makes the car stink but at least the belt now works! You might want to try this first before trying to take the buckle apart.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually put some dry graphite lubricant in it, and it's definitely working a little better. I'll see what happens with time I suppose..!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
When I said "It's possible (but not dead easy) to take the plastic buckle cover off", I mean that it's reasonably easy to do, but it doesn't just 'unclick'. My guess is that the designer never intended it to be taken apart once assembled.

The two halves of the cover do need to be pried apart with some force (I used a screwdriver blade), which resulted in two (if I recall correctly) of the tabs breaking. The buckle works perfectly now, black duct tape holds the cover on, and I never notice it...

Regards,
John.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts