SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried raising the top on my Saab to go for a drive. I have always had to help the tonneu cover raise, which didn't bother me too much. But on that day, after getting the soft top down completely. the tonneu would not latch on the right side and made a chattering noise, followed by the SID message "Check soft top". Finally i gave up and tried to put it back up. after the ton cover lowered the back of the soft top just sort of gave up, followed by the chattering noise and the SID message, again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Sounds like the infamous tonneau lift andlower motor problem. The threads on this problem are many. If you search tonneau you should find more than you want to know. You might also search saabsite.com.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
A long thread by rls120 (search)should be good reading. Also, there is a recent thread by Lenny D that may help.
If you are committed to diy, once you get that mechanism out and study it, you will understand how it works. If you aren't, and can find someone who can fix the car for you, 300 or 400 bucks would be fair. If the man turns pale and says 2000 bucks you are in the wrong place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thank you. Any ideas on how to latch the back into its place again after you pull the electronic override lever behind the back seat? I have tried simultaneously pushing the lever up while holding the rear end of the top onto the tonneau but no such luck.

Naturally until i can get it fixed i dont want a 1 inch gap exposing my interior.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
ok thank you. Any ideas on how to latch the back into its place again after you pull the electronic override lever behind the back seat? I have tried simultaneously pushing the lever up while holding the rear end of the top onto the tonneau but no such luck.

Naturally until i can get it fixed i dont want a 1 inch gap exposing my interior.
Absolutely not. It would be against the law! Lenny D had the same problem as seen in the latest of his posts. That piece that locks down on the tonneau is called the fifth bow. A qualified soft top tech with the a hand held electronic device called a Tech 2 and the appropriate software can do it in a few minutes. Or you can do it your self by a method described in apost on this forum by member flyhop. Search the forum by member name flyhop to find his method. The operation is called latching the fifth bow.

·
Registered
38 Posts

My top was doing almost the same thing. I just pulled the motors and lower the top buy hand. Can put the top down and up in about five minutes. I would love to just push a button but for the money they want to fix the motors I'll do it by hand
Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts