SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I should have realized that I would screw things up even more... I attempted to take the faulty Neutral Safety Switch off of my '97 900 to clean myself (as per briankelly's very helpful thread). This was my first attempt at anything more involved than an oil change on my car and with a friend I took out what I needed to get at it... however, I mistook the switch from the front of the transmission and ended up unbolting the tranny from it's mount (directly below the battery case). The transmission fell about an inch down and half an inch to the left (presumably still hanging by it's other mounts). We attempted to find a way to jack the transmission back up to reconnect it but couldn't come up with a good way from the bottom. Does anyone have any ideas I can try before I tow it to somebody who actually knows what they're doing?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Welcome to SaabCentral, Eggloaf:cheesy:
Do you have the handy accessories (wood blocks, levers, crowbars, 3 to 5 hydraulic jacks, ramps, other goodies)....such as 4 strong friends??
Not that you need all of this, but , tools and their use can be challenging, even fun - when you are young..
Or, how about the old classic - a block and tackle and a strong tree limb overhead..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My tools are pretty basic... I've never done much auto work (hell, I've never even changed my oil) and my parents are the 'take it to the dealer' type... but I managed to finally get the NSS out (man those last few bolts were hard to get at!) so I think what I'll do is clean it and put everything back together aside from the tranny, and then have it remounted and aligned by someone who knows what they're doing and has the proper equipment- that's one of those things I really wouldn't mind paying for just for the peace of mind, and it's not a job that only a dealer will take on either. $100 to the mechanic down the street to properly secure my transmission is fine with me... I just can't justify paying $400 + labor for a part that just needs to be cleaned a bit...

But yeah this forum has been tremendously helpful- I'll definitely stick around.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mobile mechanic maybe another option, depending. Have them come to you possibly?
Just realised this only happened about 13 years ago. Why am I being recommended such an old thread?
Anyways, there's my contribution haha!
Better late than never I guess.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Well To provide you with some sanity , Lets Just say he Bolted it all back up , fitted a New NSS and drove the next 13 years trouble free . He did say he was going to stick around ...after all . :geek:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was kinda looking for some drama. Was imagining he was going to drive it to the mechanic down the road. Maybe the transmission scraped along the road? Maybe it fell out completely because the weight sheered the remaining mount? Maybe centre mass was lower and the car performed brilliantly when cornering?
The mystery continues...

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
835 Posts
I find the recommendations vary greatly based on what you've been researching.
Let's hope he fixed his Saab, or passed it on the local pick a part where we all feasted on the parts. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I find the recommendations vary greatly based on what you've been researching.
Let's hope he fixed his Saab, or passed it on the local pick a part where we all feasted on the parts. :)
Ohhhh cheap parts. I'm up for that.
Love the pick a part wreckers. Absolute goldmine. Especially the hard to find new bits in better condition than our own. Replenishing the car is great. Interior plastics ect that have worn.
Bought my car from a wrecker and revived it. Have to admit, it was in decent condition. Bloke was a bit of a wheeler dealer. He'd spent money on it for resale but was unsuccessful, and by the looks of the other cars there, he'd bitten off more than he could chew. Other cars fetching better money for him so he gave in. I was looking at the car thinking what's wrong with this? Looked great. So I took a gamble and got him to drop it off at my place on a trailer. About 6 grand later I have a nice car haha! Little under half of that was performance modifications and general maintenance. Did the TD04 conversion as the turbo was smoking a little when I bought it. Guy who sold it to me assured the head wasn't cracked, which was why I kinda thought I might get away with tinkering about. $500 and a $50 tow. Car started when I bought it too. No body damage except for one scratch which is easy. Paint was good. Just lots of niggling little things needed tweaking which I figured out as I went along. Pretty much been over the whole car and replaced anything that's failed or on its way out. Estimate I'm spending about 2 grand a year to get it how I want it, but that's in dribs and drabs and not all up front. Done both rear window motors about 3 times each and the fronts once or twice. That job started getting old. Rack brace (rack was good actually, my Saab mechanic said it was fine and doesn't suspect a firewall crack either, or could have been repaired already). Rear ARB upgrade. Did all the extra things people say to to. Bit of money in that but worth it to improve the car.
Everything I pulled off it was still original Saab parts. Previous few owners look like they've done minimal work to keep it going. Glove box had tons of repair history. It had one female owner amongst all the receipts, but this particular owner had all the Saab dealership dockets. She'd had a good crack at it and must of had some cash.
Hope these people see their old car getting about with the BOV now blasting out, tyres peeling, and flying down the road like they've never seen before haha! I'm happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts