SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past few months my 97 900se turbo has been randomly having an intermittent screeching sound coming from somewhere in the rear half of the car. It only happens sometimes and randomly, anytime I try and make it happen it doesn't. I've realized that when I hear the screeching that if I hit my brakes it goes away, then when I let off it comes back. But for some reason if Ikeep driving it just goes away for awhile?
What could this be? What could be causing this? Any follow up questions or other help is much appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I'd pull the wheels and check to see if the lining on the brake pads is worn away. Also, see if the rotors are scored.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
My initial, from afar assessment:

You should have new brake pads installed soon.

The screeching is coming from your brake pad wear indicator. It's a thin strip of metal attached to the brake pad that will vibrate like a guitar string or flute reed when it contacts the rotor. You will see on new pads that it is shorter than the pad lining. As the brakes wear down to the point of needing replacement, it will start to come into contact with the rotor. When you apply the brakes, you put enough pressure on it to keep it from vibrating. So if you hear a strange screeching sound, especially noticeable at lower speeds, applying the brakes is a good way to check if it is this wear indicator. It is a sound that will come and go. As you drive, the pads will vibrate and the wear indicator will move into and out of contact with the rotor.

I've replaced brakes on several different vehicles, and disk brakes are an easy DIY job if you are handy with tools. I haven't done it on my SAAB yet, but can't imagine it's any worse than other vehicles.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, so a brake issue make the screeching sound only sometimes? I too thought it was brakes but didn't say so to not bias your opinions. What I've noticed is that I only hear the sound with nice weather, perhaps because the brakes are dry, but also they might make more noise when dry and in that weather I put the windows down more, but still I can hear it faintly from inside. I really want this issue to become constant so I can get a free inspection at LesSchwab. THere's nothing else more MAJOR that this could be right?

My initial, from afar assessment:

You should have new brake pads installed soon.

The screeching is coming from your brake pad wear indicator. It's a thin strip of metal attached to the brake pad that will vibrate like a guitar string or flute reed when it contacts the rotor. You will see on new pads that it is shorter than the pad lining. As the brakes wear down to the point of needing replacement, it will start to come into contact with the rotor. When you apply the brakes, you put enough pressure on it to keep it from vibrating. So if you hear a strange screeching sound, especially noticeable at lower speeds, applying the brakes is a good way to check if it is this wear indicator. It is a sound that will come and go. As you drive, the pads will vibrate and the wear indicator will move into and out of contact with the rotor.

I've replaced brakes on several different vehicles, and disk brakes are an easy DIY job if you are handy with tools. I haven't done it on my SAAB yet, but can't imagine it's any worse than other vehicles.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright so I went to Les Schwab for a brake inspection and they say that I have 25-30% left on the front brakes, which weren't the problem. But my rear brakes are still excellent. They are thinking it has to do with my e-brake. Do you guys know what to do about this?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Examine the parking brakes externally and internally ...pull the "hat" or rotor if the screech is bothersome.
For me, I'd test the hand brake and look into the inspection hole, if all looks OK, I'd ignore the noise..
Also closely examine the rear brakes, as I do not know the extent of Schwab's inspection...
Who is Schwab anyway and what are their qualifications and costs ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They're quite thorough, Les Schwab is a major and probably the most respected tire/brake company in the NW US, I think they're in N. CA, OR, WA, and ID. But anyways they do free brake inspections and of course they look for anything that they could use as a reason for me to have work done. They found nothing, but the guy there thinks E-Brake makes that noise for me and thinks when I release the E-Brake sometimes the actual brake doesn't completely release until the wheel spins faster, which would explain why the sound only happens sometimes and why it would go away while driving.

Examine the parking brakes externally and internally ...pull the "hat" or rotor if the screech is bothersome.
For me, I'd test the hand brake and look into the inspection hole, if all looks OK, I'd ignore the noise..
Also closely examine the rear brakes, as I do not know the extent of Schwab's inspection...
Who is Schwab anyway and what are their qualifications and costs ?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
OK, then the e-brake cable system should be checked out.. The adjustment is critical...We do not want a too tight or non-releasing cable.. If this was the case, then Schwab should have spotted it and charged money for the adjustment..
Trouble, the rates today are so high.. Imagine that the dealer could charge $100 for a cable adjustment.....:nono;
I'd charge $1.50 in the 70s, and this was profitable...in and out in 10 minutes..The old ones were much simpler and more serviceable..and I knew what to look for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts