SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
When the car is started, a metallic screeching can be heard for maybe 2 seconds and then is gone. I started it with the serpentine belt off to eliminate any pulleys and it still does it. It sounds similiar to a noise it made when the balance shaft sprockets were all worn out and the balance chain tensioner was bad. I asked if any timing components should be replaced at that time and they said eveything was fine. Could this be something timing chain related going bad? Has anyone had a similiar incident? Can I start the car quickly with the vavlve cover off, or will i get sprayed with oil big time?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
mferioli said:
Hello,
When the car is started, a metallic screeching can be heard for maybe 2 seconds and then is gone. I started it with the serpentine belt off to eliminate any pulleys and it still does it. It sounds similiar to a noise it made when the balance shaft sprockets were all worn out and the balance chain tensioner was bad. I asked if any timing components should be replaced at that time and they said eveything was fine. Could this be something timing chain related going bad? Has anyone had a similiar incident? Can I start the car quickly with the vavlve cover off, or will i get sprayed with oil big time?

Thanks for any help,
Mike
Screeching doesn't sound good. Good troubleshooting by pulling the belt, does it sound like it's definately on that side of the engine? Could it be coming from the turbocharger instead?

All you really have over there is crankshaft, oil pump, timing chain, balance chain and the associated guides/pulleys. Sounds oil related if it goes away once oil runs through the system. Did you delete your balance chain in the past or replace it? Have you pulled your tensioner to see how far it's extended?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Our cars can't be run with the valve cover off. Oil circulates through a small section of the valve cover, and there is also a gravity feed line from one (or more) of the headbolt holes which lubes moving parts of the engine. You do NOT want to disturb that!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The balance chain was replaced with all new parts. Its hard to tell where its coming from exactly, it happens really quick and then is gone. When you say tensioner, do you mean timing tensioner? If so, no I have not. How far should it extend exactly?

also, its non-turbo

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
980 Posts
Does this happen with a warm engine or just when the engine is cold? Another possibility might be an issue with the starter drive, maybe not disengaging as quickly as it should.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again PMI, good link, Im going to check into that.

The starter thing is a good idea, I should look into that, maybe I can pull it out, clean and lube it with out too much trouble. Thanks for that thought!

Mike

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
cadcamjim said:
Does this happen with a warm engine or just when the engine is cold? Another possibility might be an issue with the starter drive, maybe not disengaging as quickly as it should.
Yeah, starter is a definate possibility. That's kinda where I was headed with my question. On the non-turbo cars I would lean toward that over timing chain or tensioner since they don't seem to have sludging concerns.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took the starter apart and oiled/greased it up...that seems to have done it. Thanks cadcamjim for the suggestion, that screech drove me nuts.

Mike

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi, I'm having the exact same problem as you saw from the other thread, going to get my mechanic to do what you did with the starter motor. Is yours still ok and was that definitely the problem?

Also, does anyone know whether starter motors are prone to failure? Would it not be better just to repace them altogether (at around £108 it won't end of the world!)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so far I've gone a week without that noise, so Id say that was it. There was a little bearing, just above the gear that pops out to turn the fly wheel, that was really dry and squeally. I'm thinking it wat that one causing the noise, but i threw oil grease all around the other gears as well. Hopefullly I won't have to take it off anytime soon to do it again.

Hope it works out to be a simple fix for ya,

mike

·
Registered
137 Posts
PMI said:
Good tip. Mine may be starting to make a noise like that when it gets down to about zero...
Yeah, it seems to be temperature related! It was very cold last night and mine was making that noise. Then this afternoon it was fine, and then again tonight it's doing it again. Wonder how could it have anything to do withe the cold!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
ashimashi said:
Wonder how could it have anything to do withe the cold!
If the noise I hear is really a bearing, and not the starter itself, then mferioli called it correctly. It gets worse in the cold, just like the idler pulleys that fail much more often in winter due to bearings that have lost their grease.

I have no experience repacking small bearings. In industry you normally replace any small bearing that you find to be "dry", or noisy. Only large and very expensive bearings are repacked. Not saying it does not work, just that I don't know either way... :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts