SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my car to the dealer to replace the treble and bass buttons...this is the second time it has happened to me, and it seems like a common problem, because the headunit they replaced it with already had a crack in one. all i wanted them to do was replace the buttons...i even pulled it off for them. but after waiting for a while, i found out they were reprogramming everything after replacing the entire ICM. if i knew they were going to do that, i would have left the cracked buttons alone. in the process, they managed to put quite a few scratches in the trim surrounding the a/c, gauges, etc. as well as the headunit itself. i should have just left the buttons alone. :confused: just out of curiosity, anybody else here picky about small scratches in the dash trim/radio? maybe it's just me, but i don't see how the tech can put scraches in a car and think the customer won't notice or care. i don't know, maybe most people don't.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I hate some people's lack of attention to detail. Last time I took my car to the dealer, they left greasy fingerprints on headliner. It is too much hassel for me to get to the dealer, so I had to clean them up myself. I would let them have it over the scratches.

·
Registered
86 Posts
if someone at a car dealership scratched my car i would be PISSED and either have them repair the scratches or contact SaabUsa and tell them what happened

if you dropped your child off at daycare and they came back with scratches wouldnt you complain........ ok, maybe not as serious but still

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
JamaicanGanja said:
if you dropped your child off at daycare and they came back with scratches wouldn't you complain?
That's a terrific analogy, Ganj, though I wouldn't recommend running that past your wife or anyone else with young kids in daycare:lol:

I really try to avoid letting others work on my car if at all possible. I'm scheduled to have one of my door handles replaced in a few days. The dealer wants to give me a free oil change, even though I just changed my own. I know Saab corporate pays them for this, but I just wish they would mail me the handle and stay away from my car!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Some light scratches on the front dash trim seem to come out completely with a good massage with a moist finger tip.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the scratches are not that big, but they're deeper than surface scratches. the ones on the dash trim (around a/c, etc.) are peeling off where it was rubbed against the a/c vents. there are also other random scratches in this trim. for 18k miles, i've been very careful and managed only one little scratch...but some guy comes in and puts about 10 in a matter of an hour and a half. yeah, it's a pain in the ***, but as long as i get an unscratched replacement, i'll be happy...but i'm sure that won't happen.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:roll: yes! you know, it took me a while to work up the courage to take my car there after hearing a couple of bad things about them. trying to work out appointments in winston was becoming a pain so decided to give them a shot...i wish i didn't.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No you are not the only one that hates scratches on the dash !!!
I have lots of them and they are only getting worse.
the coating on the plastic is peeling at an alarming rate and is doing my head in!!!!

cannot beleive that saab chose this material to use on an area of the car that has to be touched frequently !!

then again this is my first Saab and am rather dissapointed with the general quality of the build of this so called quality car !!
dont get me wrong this is a great car to drive and very powerfull but nothing on the inside of the car feels like its going to last !!

does anyone think that this peeling plastic would come under the warranty ??

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
AERO BOY said:
does anyone think that this peeling plastic would come under the warranty ??
Too right - if your dash or buttons are peeling, then get it back to your dealer and get it changed under warranty - i sure would!!

Just out of curiosity - what do you clean your interior with?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Try the electrostatic dusters that they advertise on teh TV these days - they are amazing at getting the interior clean without scratches or smears. they "suck up" all teh dust that collects on the dash and buttons etc.

Brilliant.

I think that the brands are Flash and Swiffer amongst others.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a little word of caution about electrostatic dusters. i used a regular duster which created static electricity after rubbing across the dash a couple of times (i'm sure almost any duster would do the same). when i ran past the SID, some of the pixels got charged and lit up in a weird jagged pattern. it eventually went away after several minutes, but it scared me quite a bit at the time. now i make sure i don't go past the SID unless it is the first or second pass.

·
Registered
193 Posts
black_linear said:
I hate some people's lack of attention to detail. Last time I took my car to the dealer, they left greasy fingerprints on headliner. It is too much hassel for me to get to the dealer, so I had to clean them up myself. I would let them have it over the scratches.
I have grease courtesy of my friendly neighborhood mechanic on my headliner also. It's small, and at the top of the a pillar. Thus far I've left it alone, worried that I"m going to make it worse. What did you use to clean it? Are you happy with the results? Although I love the mesh fabric used on our headliners, it seems so delicate and "light" in color that I'm worried about applying any cleaners to it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
EP Doc said:
I have grease courtesy of my friendly neighborhood mechanic on my headliner also. It's small, and at the top of the a pillar. Thus far I've left it alone, worried that I"m going to make it worse. What did you use to clean it? Are you happy with the results? Although I love the mesh fabric used on our headliners, it seems so delicate and "light" in color that I'm worried about applying any cleaners to it.
EP Doc. I first used one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers for some of the lighter fingerprints. It actually worked fairly well. I still haven't tackled one of the dark greasy ones. I was afraid of rubbing the grease in, then it'd never come out. I just ordered some interior cleaner. I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Peeling Dash

After having my car for only about 2 months, my dash is peeling really bad. I called the dealer and it seemed that he wasnt surprised. They have to replace the whole radio. I had to take it and they had to hook it up to the Tech II, make me wait 45 min, and then told me it would be 2 weeks before the new radio would come in. It has been about 10 days with no word. This peeling thing is really aggravating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts