SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into a non specialized mechanic to check why there was a THUMP THUMP on the feel of my pedals. They figured out it was the Left Front Wheel Bearing that there's a problem.

Now this is my daily driver but I don't need to drive that much, what's the chances of it failing on me right away? The mechanic said it could really be any time from tomorrow to a few months from now. :(

I was going to do my pads and rotors anyway so I was wondering, is this something I can do myself to replace a wheel bearing or is this a little too complicated and I should take it in?

Part 7 is what I need right?

http://www.eeuroparts.com/(ki3rlu45wjhuk3553kblp345)/searchresults.aspx?&carid=1099&cat=1019#

Should I just do both sides and take care of both at the same time.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I would get a second opinion from another mechanic. As for instructions on getting the bearing out of the hub, I don't think many people have had to do it, compared to something like brakes or shocks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok the mechanic himself was actually a guy who worked on a lot of Euro cars apparently. he also took it for a test drive and put it on a lift... I am a bit leary of taking a second opinion because that's anther $50...

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Wheel bearings on these legs usually rumble, audible at first prior to feeling it, have you actually tried jacking it up and listening to it with nothing running - pop the wheel off and back off the brakes a little first if they drag slightly.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The "thump-thump" would originate from a flat or defective tire.

A bad wheel bearing roars and rumbles , a grinding noise..

Switch the tires( front to back) and see if there is a difference.
Last wheel bearing I changed in a Saab was back in the 70s.
A hammer and punch did the trick for this one hour task..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts