SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a fellow car enthuisiast, and I was telling him about BSR and their stage upgrades. I told him that Stage one through three could get me from 175bhp to 220 and he said that wasn't a good idea.

He said there would be a noticable difference when overtaking someone, but that since its FWD that it could be dangerous to floor it and stuff.

Anyone had any problems with the power increase and the car being front wheel drive???

·
Registered
335 Posts
I doubt it would be a big problem. Afterall, the stock aero makes around 250hp and it is front wheel drive.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Power at those levels is managable, but you need to respect the car and understand what you are doing. No car is a toy and one should always excercise good judgement and a clear mind when operating your car. Maybe he is suggesting you arent quite ready for the power upgrade which you shouldnt take as a negative, but more as a positive.

I do not find our cars fast by any means but as compared to most cars, they are quick. But all cars should be respected and use of the old brain is a must when operating.

Safe travels.
PS

The reason why my post may be so cautious as compared to other posts is because I witnessed a pretty bad accident today involving a dog and a pickup truck on the interstate. I managed to miss the poor fellow but the truck beside me couldnt. The poor puppy is in puppy heaven as obviously he didnt have a chance but goes to show you hoq quickly something can happen like that. I cant believe I was able to avoid him, wish the other guy in the truck had been so lucky. Once returning home from work, I happily gave my own dog lots of loving and a nice long walk. Keep your pets safe and drive safe!

Cheers
Drew

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have the BSR stage 3 upgrade and as the gentlemen stated before, it's not a toy, respect the car and the power it is capable of unleashing...and you'll be ok.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Not that we do any kind of certified testing here, but the BSR Stage 1 programming for both the 2.0t and 2.0T is probably our most widely adopted performance modification. And it has a near 100% satisfaction rating on this board. Tuning for the 2.8 V6 has also received favorable reviews.

You can go back to threads from 2003 up to the present. Accolades abound. (No extra charge for the alliteration.)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Anyone had any problems with the power increase and the car being front wheel drive???
9-3´s chassis (sport suspension especially) can easily handle that power. It´s the torque what could be a problem and they´re selling TTiD with 400Nm on tap stock so it really is not a problem to handle those BSR figures like 220hp/330Nm. There´s also very sophisticated TCS which helps on a wet tarmac if there´s not so much traction.

9000 Aero with 250hp/400Nm was sometimes difficult. That suspesion could not handle the torque too well and was quite franctic on overtaking and chaning lanes.

With 9-3 you should be safe if there´s 275hp/400Nm. It´s still very driveable. That´s what you´ll get Aero w/ Hirsch on a FWD car.

Go´n drive Viggen. Stock. That´ll teach what it means to be on a limit of handling the torque... :cheesy:

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Dustin_D said:
I was talking to a fellow car enthuisiast, and I was telling him about BSR and their stage upgrades. I told him that Stage one through three could get me from 175bhp to 220 and he said that wasn't a good idea.

He said there would be a noticable difference when overtaking someone, but that since its FWD that it could be dangerous to floor it and stuff.

:lol:

Your friend knows nothing abpout Saabs (...edited for civility) ;)

220 bhp is nothing for a 9-3SS, which exhibits much less torque steer than earlier models. The comment about the Viggen was spot on. Much of the rawness was dialed out of the newer Sports Sedan, and the suspension is much improved over the NG900/9-3

I have an earlier model (same foibles as the Viggen but with lots of aftermarket suspension upgrades) and almost 400 bhp and the car is docile enough to tote my kids in.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
uhhh...this car has an open diff. any extra power your tires can't handle will be sent to the wheel with the least traction. it's kinda hard to get yourself into much trouble when all you do is spin the inside tire. if this car had an LSD, i would definately understand your concern.

·
Registered
8 Posts
LOL.... that's funny.

I have over 400 HP on my front wheel drive eagle talon and don't have any issues. (except speeding tickets)

Can't wait to start the mods on the '07 Aero we picked up this past weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts