SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just changed the 2.3T engine in my Saab and have a check engine light along with some driveability problems at mid range. I would like to use a diagnostic tool to help resolve the problem. The test connector under the seat is not OBDII, instead it is a 10 pin one that is similar to the old Opel ALDL interface. Is this in fact the protocol and are there any software packages that members have used and could recommend? The schematics for the engine controls also show a "SFI Test Socket". Does anyone have info on how this is used and can it also be used for diagnostics?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know on the UK models that if you turn the ignition on without starting the car, watch the check engine light, then count the flashes & this will produce a fault code, then compare code or codes to a fault code table found in good repair manual or on the forum.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Aero_Ady said:
I know on the UK models that if you turn the ignition on without starting the car, watch the check engine light, then count the flashes & this will produce a fault code, then compare code or codes to a fault code table found in good repair manual or on the forum.

I noticed my check engine light come on whist driving today.. about 3 miles into my journey, it stayed on for atleast a mile then went off again. later when I started the engine it would do the same thing.. it appears to only come on once the engine is warmed up.

When I turn the key, but not start engine, it will also flash at me like you describe. Getting 4 flashes.

Now assuming mine is DI/APC rather than trionic (its a 1991?)
http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/powertrain/diagnosis/faultcodes.php

That site shows it as the knock sensor.

Any ideas?

thanks
Mark

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
describe your actual symptoms better. What does drivability problems mean? Bucking? What are your spark plugs gapped to? How old is your DI?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I believe this port is SAAB dealer only. They have a diagnostic tool that plugs right in. I have not heard of any aftermarket equipment but if there is let me know too!

jimsaab said:
I've just changed the 2.3T engine in my Saab and have a check engine light along with some driveability problems at mid range. I would like to use a diagnostic tool to help resolve the problem. The test connector under the seat is not OBDII, instead it is a 10 pin one that is similar to the old Opel ALDL interface. Is this in fact the protocol and are there any software packages that members have used and could recommend? The schematics for the engine controls also show a "SFI Test Socket". Does anyone have info on how this is used and can it also be used for diagnostics?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I need to be more specific about what I was asking although I think I have already found the trouble code for my problem - see the end of this post for the specifics on that.

First, the 1995 US models were produced in the transition years from US & European OBD1 to full OBD2. In 1995, the 4 cyl with Trionic was more like the older models, including the use of the European style 10 pin test connector while the 6 cyl Motronic was close to full OBD2 and used the std 16 pin OBD2 connector. The Trionics after 1995 used the OBD2 connector to conform to US OBD2 requirements although the 1996 and 1997 models had problems with full compliance on all requirements and were given waivers in the states that do emission testing.

I am not to concerned about what my symtoms are, I prefer to spend my money on buying or developing a tool for diagnosis rather than throwing it at the dealer for a one-time answer, especially my local dealer. All the manuals fall back on telling you to use the Saab Isat tester or the GM Tech2, both cost more than I paid for the car.

According to all the info I have collected, the US 9000 Trionic turbos up through 1993 could be analyized by counting the flashes. After that, all the documents say use Isat or Tech2. I looked at the wiring diagrams and found that the wiring of the Trionic for 1995 is almost identical to the 1993 one. I haven't finished this survey yet but have found only 2 or 3 wires different so far. Since my 1995 wiring is so close to the 1993 wiring I decided to try the code flashing procedure and it worked just fine. It confirmed what I had suspected, the O2 sensor is bad. I will be changing it out soon, hopefully within a week or so. If anyone is interested, I can post the procedure for extracting the flashing fault code.

This does not mean I will give up on the scan tool search or development, I have just started. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the responses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts