SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my second attempt with the Scan-Tech Sweden brake hardware kits (part number 18.7098). The first set I butchered when I attempted to install the spring as if it were the OEM type spring, The spring easily snapped under the load that was put on it that way. I later learned that the spring was suppose to clip onto the pins from the outside once your have the pins in place on the caliper. But for the life of me, I can't get the new set I have to clip onto it nicely, and also noticed that at no time does the spring make contact with the pads in this configuration. So what gives? I'm ready to drive the 40 miles to the stealership and just buy the OEM type at an outrageous price just to have this done and dealt with.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Front or rear ?

The rear seems to be too easy for words.

Via tiny photos and far too many irrelevant words, Haynes succeeds in making the front pad replacement far more difficult than it is..

In the rear, as i recall, the anti-chatter spring is tensed by the two pins; and may not touch the pads..
It has been a awhile, the new pads seem to last forever..

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
earthworm said:
The rear seems to be too easy for words.
This is what you get:

It is for the rear. And its not as easy as it seems. I would think they go in like the OEM, where the spring would be between the pads and the pins, but with that configuration the springs snapped. So I then hear that the springs clip onto the outside of the pins/caliper area. Either way, the springs don't sit nicely on the pins. The end that you install first keeps its nice U shape for holding onto the pin, but the end that you snap in always becomes deformed and doesn't hold the pin right. Funny thing about the photo of this product is that its the Saab part, the Scantech ones don't have the folded over portion of the portion that you see in the top spring.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I don't think you can get the springs in after both pins are installed. My packaging was different, but the parts look about the same.

I thought you insert one pin first, then hook the spring under it and make sure it is seated well on the back edge of the pads. Press it down with your hand, and insert the second pin. Slide second pin over the spring while pushing the spring into the caliper with the other hand. Insert tip of second pin into the other side of the housing. Then tap the pin into the caliper the last 1/2 inch with the spring tension on the pads and pin, while still pressing on the spring.

I am sure that is not the only way, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess I only have those two options, but neither sit nicely at all. Did you get the Scantech ones PMI? What was the part number?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Now I remember, and as well I should, having done a great deal of these - its a very old design and very, very easy to do.

I was wrong, the retainer/spring does contact the pad backing plate, thats how it functions as "anti-chatter"...
After the pads are in place, I insert both pins thru as far as one pad and then set in place the spring, and at the same time drive each pin home.
If anything is not straight and true, I use the same hammer and pin punch.
It is a much easier job on a lift as opposed to squatting or kneeling...

Excellent photos and explanation, PMI..

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Slaab4life said:
Well, I guess I only have those two options, but neither sit nicely at all. Did you get the Scantech ones PMI? What was the part number?
I don't have the part number, but I wiill look at some old receipts and post it if I find it. I bought the kit along with some other brake parts, good chance it was Scantech, but I don't remember.

Can't figure out why they would not seat, but I am quite sure you cannot put the springs I had last. I checked the Haynes manual, it has the pads going in first, then the springs, the pins last. I think I may have tried that but it was not going too well, then I remembered the other instructions about using one pin to locate the spring.

Thx for the compliment earthworm... actually, I am not too fond of working on brakes, ironic since I have to tear the rears apart again one day soon to try and replace the handbrake shoes... and yes, I am sure it is much easier with a lift...;)

Btw, what is the reason for checking the piston cutout on the rear calipers??? (Haynes Ch.9, Section 5.11)

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The kit I used was made by Scantech. Can't find a receipt, but kept the bag -labeled 4467098A. I will take a look over the weekend to see if there is some problem with fit or seating on the back of the pads.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, I've been busy with installing new front rotors. Thats finally all taken care of. Finally had another look behind the rear wheels. I made the Scantech springs fit. I'm not happy with the way they sit though, here is a comparison shot:

As you can see the original springs sat nice and evenly behind the pin, everything matched up with the pin spacing. Second photo shows the new springs, it sits nicely on top, but the bottom does not come close. Note that the spring is symetrical, so that rectangle cut-out you see above the top pin is sitting behind the bottom one on it's opposite end (and this is as close as I can get it, you should have seen how poorly it all lined up when I pulled the springs out of the package!).
You may think this is a fluke, that I got a bad set of springs, well its not fluke, I think this is kit/attempt #3 for me. I email Scan-Tech about it, no word from them in almost a week. I also emailed eeuroparts.com about this and someone was kind enough to send me the EPC Parts List diagram for the rear brake/hub assembly, but all it does is list part #'s.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
PMI :
Btw, what is the reason for checking the piston cutout on the rear calipers??? (Haynes Ch.9, Section 5.11)

At one time, the 99 system used a piston which had to be turned in by hand , due to the handbrake.
Now an old design.
Maybe Haynes is giving us old info, or these new brakes still use some old parts...
Do not really know..

As to those rear brake retaining springs, the replacements are wrong, the distributer or the manufacturer goofed..
The pads may also fit other cars where the spring is correct, I think..
Do not use them, use the old ones, they last forever...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
earthworm said:
Thats a good question earthworm, I've never noticed that notch, I wonder what effect it has if the cutout isn't measured to be 29mm like the Haynes calls for?

Do not use them, use the old ones, they last forever...
:roll: The old ones didn't. One rusted through, the other is, well, its still there (seen in photo) but on its last leg. I gave the area where the pads sit a good cleaning. Quite a bit of rust develops within there, pads slide in much nicer now.

I've checked and rechecked the part numbers against Scan-Tech's and its the correct part number (though the parts do not look exactly like the picture they have on their site). At this point I will most likely just go to a dealership and get the real hardware, maybe even look at how much they want for the rear shocks. If they are less than $95 each, I may just purchase them, if my OEM Saab ones lasted 8 years/131K miles, I think I'll use the same (Sach/Boge right?)

I've sent eeuroparts the picture, hopefully I'll get some more definitive word and possibly a credit or outright refund.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I think you may have the springs for the small rear brake. 1995-96 have the small rear rotors and calipers. 1997 was the year they fixed that and made them larger. Pads, rotors, calipers, caliper mounting plates.

Part numbers from EPC:
1994-96, #4467098
1997-98, #4908497
1998-02, #5239744 (9-3)

Sorry I did not notice before (I have a '96 with the small brakes).

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ahhh, we're possibly getting somewhere now. This is the screenshot of the .pdf I recieved of the EPC from eeuro:

Under the Saab number, your EPC does match mine, but if you look under the 'usage' area their is the 5239744 number, which matches the part number that eeuro goes by. Oddly, eeuro lists ALL years of the NG900 '94-'98 and even '99 to '02 9-3's as using their part number 5239744. I think I'll shoot them an email with this new finding. Something is very very wrong here.
Thanks PMI for those other number, those could very well throw eeuro a loop they weren't prepared for.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Follow the note next to item 10 in the screen cap you posted.

I used section 5-0310 of EPC, KITS-Brakes. Then, if you turn off the filter, two different part numbers come up under item 6 for the different years. Btw, I have no bad experiences with Europarts. I like the convenient lookup on their web site, and I bought quite a few parts there, just not this kit.

In any case, at least you have the better brakes and calipers, I would gladly trade my brakes in on the bigger ones and pay the dealer price on the kits... :cheesy:
You can also use the part numbers from EPC to look up the list prices on genuinesaab.com to find out if your dealer charges the list price or more than the list price. I verified the prices genuinesaab.com has, and they are accurate.

Good luck, and pls let us know how it went.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sigh.......

eeuroparts.com said:
The info that you see on the scantech site is not completely accurate. The 97 and up kits are now the same from Saab.

You can get part #5239744 from saab still but the cost is substantially higher. I installed the same kit that you have on a caliper in house and was able to use a flat screwdriver to pull the clip over the pin using the slot at the end of the clip. When pulled it will snap onto the pin. Let me know if that works out.
I love using eeuroparts and all, and will continue to, but geez, this is getting rediculous. I guess I will go with the substantially higher cost of the Saab part #5239744. The only thing I can ask them now is what they have for lengths between the top of the top pin to the bottom of the bottom pin, because I'm pretty sure it's apparent in those two photo's I posted that I can't even get a screwdriver to the bottom slot at the end of the clip.
That 'substantially higher' cost is $11 from another Saab parts site who have the Saab OEM clips (though they too list the clips for '94-'98). I wonder if just the front brakes were upgraded/enlarged.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
That 'substantially higher' cost is $11 from another Saab parts site who have the Saab OEM clips (though they too list the clips for '94-'98).
I am all for using cheaper parts when available, but for $11, I would get the oem clip. With shipping, you might as well pay $15 at the dealer and be done with it. I am surprised Europarts would continue to sell a part they know has to be forced to fit, especially on a brake. I wonder what the chances are of the clip falling off, and ending up embedded in someones tire.

I wonder if just the front brakes were upgraded/enlarged.
The main difference is in the rear. Front brakes were enlarged, but only a little. From 1997 the rear rotor is a full inch bigger.

The ABS was changed in 1996, but the brakes were not upgraded until a year later. The 1996 model year is the one with the new ABS and the old brakes. Numbers below are from Haynes Ch. 9.

Front outside diameter, rotor/piston
1994-96, 284 mm/54mm
1997-98, 288 mm/57mm

Rear outside diameter, rotor/pistons
1994-96, 260 mm/35 mm (dual piston)
1997-98, 286 mm/35 mm (dual piston)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, rather than indulge my questions on distances between clips, eeuro has offered to credit my account for the hardware kit. Kinda dissapointing, I'd really like to know what the whole mystery is behind the part. In the meantime I'll live with the clickity clack that my driver's side rear wheel is making and wait til Monday and then drive the 30 miles to the dealer and pick up the appropriate (I'll make sure I bring the one old clip I still have that is intact to compare). Hell, I'll probably even ask to see the clip from a '96 while I'm at it just to compare it that much more. Case closed I guess.....

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
FWIW, I just did the rear brakes on my '94. It looks like SAAB experimented quite a bit.

I bought the same hardware kit Nate used, and it fit my car fine. The only catch is that the old brakes didn't use a spring at all(??). They did have flat metal shims between the piston and pad. I'm not sure whether this was just an oversight by whoever replaced the brakes last time or not. The scantech springs I bought fit perfectly, so I put them on and left the shims off. I haven't taken it for a road test yet since I'm waiting for some rust killing paint stuff to dry. I'll let you know if I notice anything odd.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
JMarkert said:
I bought the same hardware kit Nate used, and it fit my car fine. The only catch is that the old brakes didn't use a spring at all(??). They did have flat metal shims between the piston and pad.
That is very interesting... Are you sure it wasn't just the stock pad backing plates separated from the friction material? (mine did). In other words, there was a real shim between the piston and the pad, and the old pad had a plate?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Yup, real shims. Little thin pieces of sheet metal in the same shape as the backing plate. It seems odd that I didn't have any springs, but who knows why. The PO's mechanic was useless, and I've spent a fair amount of effor cleaning up after him. However I never had any problem with the rear brakes (other than them being worn out now). I just went for a drive in traffic with the scantech spring in place and it's not making any odd noises or anything. I should also mention that I used a little of that rubbery anti chatter stuff on the back of the new pads too.

Maybe SAAB just experimented a lot with the rear brake setup.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts