SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick up my S-line A4 2.0T 6sp Avant on Saturday. After 25 years of driving only Saabs, 23 of actually owning them, I'm going to try something different.

This morning it was 6 degrees Celsius, and my car was a complete cacaphony of rattles, squeals, squeaks and thuds.The rear defroster and the side mirror defrosters chose not to work. The sunroof opened, but would not close. I've had enough of the niggly little issues on this car to give up and see what Saab does with itself in the future. The 9-3 never lived up to it's billing. Yes MOST, Trionic etc. were all advances, but so what ? My A4 talks to my Treo 650, there's an ipod integration in the works and all the promises Saab made are reality with whatever the technology is that links up all this stuff in the A4. Yes the A4 cost about 15% more than the 2003 price of my 9-3SS with it's sport launch and touring packages, but given that it has more features including FSI and AWD, and there is 2 years of inflation, it's not that different. Also in Canada we get nocharge scheduled maintenance on the A4, but not on the 9-3.

I'll still be around, but on the 9-3 hatch forums. The wife still has her 2001 9-3 and it's been a great car. Not a problem, and we bought it as a used car from a Saab dealership for chump change.

So I'm not one of the buyers who left for an SUV. Better figure out how to win me back GM.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
please post pictures of the a4 as i almost traded my 9-3 in for that exact audi....until i found out what my trade in value was :cry:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do. Like I promised (threatened !?) I'll still be around. 25 of my 41 years have been with Saabs after all.
I got C$22750 as a trade for a 19 month old 9-3 SS with sport launch and touring packages, BSR stage 2 and a sports exhaust. I wasn't happy as this is 20 grand (almost 50% !!!!) less than I paid for it less than 2 years ago. Figured it would only get worse. Might as well get out while it still has a warranty and some residual value. That may be a false logic. Saabs tend to do well after the first few years and level out, but I just can't deal with the aggravation any more. This from a guy who is probably just shy of a million miles in Saabs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'll be following you

Congrats on the new Audi. Beautiful cars...

I agree with you on all accounts, unfortunately. I'll be in your footsteps soon.

Again, enjoy.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Do not own an Audi without a warranty. If you plan on keeping the car very long, consider buying an extended warranty up front. I just traded a 2004 A4 on a 9-3 and am very happy with my choice. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
pokeyjoe said:
Do not own an Audi without a warranty. If you plan on keeping the car very long, consider buying an extended warranty up front. I just traded a 2004 A4 on a 9-3 and am very happy with my choice. :cheesy:
Agreed. I traded my '03 A4 for a SAAB and am much happier now. The A4 was a good car, but not great.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It's interesting...the grass is always greener on the other side. (Audi->Saab, Saab->Audi) :)

Good luck LinearSLT, and see you around. If you feel up to it, maybe in a few months do a comparo?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Absolutely. Still a Saaber at heart, but after 4 days with the A4, I must say I'm learning a lot about better (or different) ways of doing things. Having had only Saabs for 25 years did put blinders on me I think. I'm doing a mental list of comparisons that I'll put down to "paper" some day on this forum. Audi really has a winner with the A4 Avant, and I want Saab to have a winner like this too some day.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
in my opinion...the grass really is greener on the other side. i think my '04 is a rattle box (honestly it's not that bad, but there are some rattles), but my friend thinks it feels and sounds pretty tight. he was just saying he thought his new 350z has started feeling a little loose...but i think it feels 10X better built than my 9-3. as you own a car, more little things become noticed making your car seem worse over time. honestly...i want a car that feels like it's made from one block of metal...but that's never gonna happen with any car i ever own. unless the rattle is annoying unacceptable, i just let them be. it seems like a lot of people go through great lengths to stop rattles...but you'll be doing that throughout the entire ownership of the car until you give up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts