SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the title emplies what I saw but it sure looked good. It was a red one and just went cruising down the opposite way as I was going, gave me a head jolt watching it.

Tasty little car.

(yeah, yeah, you europeans have had it for a while now)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
I'm thinking of getting an S1 Elise as my next car (all depending on me graudating with a decent grade and getting a job). Slightly worried about using it as sole transport but I guess while I'm young is the time to do it.

I've always loved the look of the Elise. Will easily halve my fuel costs compared to my 900 too.

Grant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,666 Posts
A friend of mine has been doing a 20 mile a day commute in her Elise for the last 6 years or so! Main problem is that it tends to leak even with the hard top fitted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
I`ve been a passenger and driven one and both times i was astounded how uncomfortable the seats were. The US spec ones and some english one have a little inflatable bag built into the seat, i`ve not had the chance to try one of those out even though i supply both the bag and the pump!

Or maybe i`m just used to the lovely seats in my c900 :cool:

I heard the other day you americans may be getting the Exige too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
My saab dealership also sells elises. Hot damn those are nice looking cars, the pictures don't do them justice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,391 Posts
If the elise is like the esprit, then it's a bone jarring ride. Corners like a banshee, goes like a bat out of hell. Took one for a ride around the detroit beltway at 3 am once.:eek: During 8-5 race it's out of place. :cool:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,586 Posts
Whe I first saw this thread I thought "so what?", but then I remembered Lotus have only recently got type approval or whatever the term is for the US. There's a bloke at work who has one with the Rover K series engine in it. I love winding him up calling it a metro. Can't think why he gets upset, but then he does try and make my job hell so he deserves it :lol:

What engines do they have now, is it Toyota or something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
nutcase said:
What engines do they have now, is it Toyota or something?
Toyota 2ZZ-GE out of the high performance Celica. 190 bhp and 138 lb-ft and only a ton of weight. :cheesy: God I want one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
Kermits 9-5 said:
The UK Elisé weighed in at 760 kg, have they had to add 240 kg to meet US regs? :cry: :( Thats sure gonna blunt the performance, even with a bigger engine.
We have pretty strict safety regulations in america (that suvs get to skirt passed because they're light-trucks :roll: ) so a lot of european and japanese cars can't be imported to the US. That's why it's such a big deal to bring it here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
rage said:
I heard the other day you americans may be getting the Exige too.
And saw the first federal Exige going down the production line yesterday, in white :roll:

Kermits 9-5 said:
The UK Elisé weighed in at 760 kg, have they had to add 240 kg to meet US regs? :cry: :( Thats sure gonna blunt the performance, even with a bigger engine.
A UK 111R weighs 860KG with no options. Add to that the tacky reflectors that US cars have to have on each corner and the large cupholders :)cheesy: ) and its getting towards a ton.

Incidently the new Exige 240R has a supercharger bolted to the toyota lump with an intercooler. It puts out an impressive 240bhp but the torque is a puny 170lb/ft. I know that it doesn`t need a lot of grunt to move the car very quickly but surely Toyota could produce a bit more torque?

http://www.grouplotus.com/car/car_product.php?id=2&mid=12
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
rage said:
Incidently the new Exige 240R has a supercharger bolted to the toyota lump with an intercooler. It puts out an impressive 240bhp but the torque is a puny 170lb/ft. I know that it doesn`t need a lot of grunt to move the car very quickly but surely Toyota could produce a bit more torque?
Oh come on now, it's a 1.8L. 170 is pretty good for an engine that size even with a supercharger. And with that much weight it's got more torque per ton than my car. That thing is going to be a rocket ship.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Raven18940 said:
Oh come on now, it's a 1.8L. 170 is pretty good for an engine that size even with a supercharger. And with that much weight it's got more torque per ton than my car. That thing is going to be a rocket ship.
No doubt it will be quick. I just thought that torque figure was on the low side considering the high bhp. For example the Vauxhall VX220 Turbo produces 197bhp and 184lb/ft. Or maybe i`m just being picky because Saab seem to extract lots of torque from their engines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,666 Posts
Willy Wonka said:
If the elise is like the esprit, then it's a bone jarring ride. Corners like a banshee, goes like a bat out of hell. Took one for a ride around the detroit beltway at 3 am once.:eek: During 8-5 race it's out of place. :cool:
The ride of an Elise is actually better than some non sporting saloon cars and the way that it handles bumps is actually quite incredible.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top