SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up an '88 Spg in black with about 140k on the clock about 3 months ago and am finally getting some time to spend on it.

I picked up the car for 500 bucks not running. PO claimed it was running fine before it just needed a clutch and slave cylinder, but he didn't have time or money to do it. I bought the car sight unseen (stupid I know), but figured if I had to part it out I could make my money back and then some. Recently saw underneath the car and to my delight there is absolutely no rust-the car has been in Chicago it's entire life!! I got the car started by bypassing the clutch and turbo as I am missing the rubber tubing connecting the turbo intercooler pipe to the MAF. Didn't sound great but it's a runner. So I've decided to rebuild the car.

I have an uncle who worked for Volvo for many years and he has a friend who worked for saab for 20+ years back in the 80's. We are going to start restoring her to her former glory next weekend. How should we proceed in rebuilding the engine? I know timing chain is something I should consider doing right away,but is there anything else I should address while I'm there?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts