SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

my whale tail is held on by the right and left lugs only. As you can see the middle ones have rusted and snapped off and they are jammed in there pretty tightly. If i can't get them out then my only option is to glue down the rubber but I'd rather put in new lugs.

I did a search but no problem of this kind surfaced.

help is appreciated.

ps: yes it looks hopeless doesn't it?

by the way it was like this when I bought it

seen here lifted up :roll:

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
A fellow crim has done some resto work on his whale tail. It's not really the same problem, but it's whale-tail related.

Have a look at this thread: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24850

I don't really have any suggestions for you in terms of repairing the join. I can see advantages to having it glued instead of the metal pins. You might want to get the thing painted before you fix the rubber back onto the spoiler?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i've seen that thread and you're right it is a different problem to mine. I posted this to find a solution but I guess when I posted it I realised the solutions were going to be slim pickens.

unless that is that someone else has had the same problem. I guess water got in there somehow but I haven't heard of this problem before. :D

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
the studs on mine were badly rusted also. Just a poor design I guess. Not sure what the bodyshop did with mine as I had removed several of the studs before I sent it to them. they glued it onto the car but I'm not sure how they re-attached the rubber.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not that I have given up on getting those rusted lugs out but if I were to glue it do you have any suggestions on bonding materials?

·
Registered
9 Posts
tail fix

I cut all the metal out of one of mine. The it was very rusty. Then cleaned it very well and used 3M double sided tape for automotive trim to reinstall. That has worked well but my car stays in a garage. Good luck.
I has also found the 3M rubber glue to work well.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks for the tip. I think we have that 3M stuff here in Australia, I'll have a look for it. My car stays in a garage also but as I said it was like that when I bought it. The rest of the car is in great condition as you can see here. So I can't figure out why the spoiler is in such bad nick.

oh except for that tiny dent on the left side of the bonnet which I have just noticed has come up nicely in the light there.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

Please, put that car back in the garage!

Keep that STUNNER tucked away somewhere safe!
That is just too pretty;)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
it is in the garage. I live on the coast and the salt air here dissolves cars that aren't garaged.

you and I must be the only 900i drivers on this site.

·
Registered
356 Posts
From your photos it looks like a quick fix is possible with a bead of something strong like Sikaflex.

Other than that - take the whaletail off the hatch and do a proper restoration! Go on you know you want to :eek:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but the lugs on the sides are fine and I think I can get at it properly to do a good enough job without taking it off.

what company makes Sikaflex? I'm not sure we have that here in Autralia.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I use a lot of strong glues in my line of work, why dont you just get some epoxy resin and lick both surfaces and press down on both surfaces and it will be fix, i hope :)

Its not hope less.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks Matthew :cheesy:

I think I'll just ignore the rusted lugs and glue down.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Cinemarr, all is not lost although you may be in for a bit of work. The metal parts of my whale tail were all but rusted away. There is a flat metal strip along the straight edge of the rubber, but some bits welded together into triangular frames in the side bits of the rubber. I ended up slicing it apart on the underside to get it all out which was a bit of a pain.

I then crafted a fairly simplistic replacement from a long strip of zinc (or maybe it was tin, I can't remember). I drilled holes in it at the appropriate spacing to match where the lugs go, then superglued galvanised bolts into the holes in the strip of zinc. I then inserted the zinc strip and bolts into the rubber where the old rusty metal had been removed, and glued all the rubber bits back around it with some rubber adhesive. It looked fairly ordinary but all of the work was on the underside.

Then I just got rid of the remaining rusty fragments from the holes in the plastic bit of the whaletail, cleaned it up, put the rubber bit back on the plastic bit by guiding all of the bolts through their holes. Put some washers onto the bolts, then nuts to secure the rubber to the plastic. It is a very convincing fix. I've just had to put some black silicone in the gap on the top between the plastic and rubber, but I didn't glue the rubber to the plastic apart from that. I would recommend against using Sikaflex - you don't need any glue that strong, especially if something goes wrong in future and you need to take it apart again.

Of course this all assumes that you can get the whale tail off the car, as you need access to the inside of it to secure the bolts like I did.

EDIT: I may very well have driven past you the other night... I gave a bit of a toot to a car that looked very much like yours. Always good to see another classic 900 on the road, and in such good condition.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi,

rusted studs on those whaletails is a pretty common problem. However, all is not lost.....

If the whaletail is removed and the remaining studs undone, it's usually possible to extract the remaining pieces of stud from the threads in the metal strip using easyouts and some careful :eek: drilling. The threads are 7mm (1.5 pitch if I remember rightly), but you could also consider upgrading to 8mm if required. This, however, will require the inside of the moulding to be filed away slightly to allow for the additional 1mm thread + nut size.

If you get really stuck, I believe that SaabWreck in Melbourne currently have a mint original whaletail for $600. :confused:

BTW, attached is a pic of my '92 Aero-S :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts