SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice there is a 2002 + Touch screen sat nav system on e bay. Does anyone know if this will fit a pre 2002 model?

Adam

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
aeropilot said:
Is it the whole system or just the head unit??
The ad just shows the double din head unit :confused:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
The ad just shows the double din head unit :confused:
Yup, found it.......about a useful as a chocolate teapot, unless you've got a factory SatNav system in your car with a duff head unit......:roll:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just got a non in dash system after thinking alot about getting one like the saab system from Kenwood or Alpine. In the end I'm really happier with what I got. It's much much cheaper, the wiring is simpler and you don't have to knock out your audio head unit.

Joe

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyone know what year the cars became pre wired for Sat Nav?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
The one option I absolutely don't need and gotta have

When I bought my car, there was another Aero w/ Nav. I passed due to the increased cost (2.7K), but I've regretted that decision. Not that I need a nav system, I just have to have one!

Some of the Aftermarket units (esp the new Kenwood) are super nice double-din units, those are tempting too.

What happens to the SID when the radio head-unit is removed?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
What happens to the SID when the radio head-unit is removed?
Nothing happens to the SID. You just remove the stereo head unit and the SID stays in place.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
tony m said:
I wasn't sure if the trip computer and diagnostics modules work w/ the radio removed.
Are talking about a Saab factory SatNav unit or aftermarket one?

On the Saab SatNav, the radio is contained within the SatNav unit, with the radio controls via the touch screen and the s/wheel controls.

Trip computer and other functions remain within the SID.

·
Registered
61 Posts
aeropilot said:
Are talking about a Saab factory SatNav unit or aftermarket one?

On the Saab SatNav, the radio is contained within the SatNav unit, with the radio controls via the touch screen and the s/wheel controls.

Trip computer and other functions remain within the SID.
I should have played more with the Saab SatNav.

The trip computer isn't integrated into the SatNav? That makes the aftermarket units pretty attractive.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
tony m said:
I should have played more with the Saab SatNav.

The trip computer isn't integrated into the SatNav? That makes the aftermarket units pretty attractive.
Again not sure what you're getting at here.....I'm having a 'blonde' day I reckon:cheesy: :cheesy:

Would need to look up SID functions for non-SatNav car and compare.

I've got a vague idea there is a reduced SID functionality when SatNav is fitted, as otherwise there would be doubling up of functions.....trip functions being part of SatNav readout except ave. fuel consumption, speed warning, DTE etc.

I'll check that one out in the manual when I get home.

Still, not very relevant unless you are going to change your car for one fitted with factory SatNav, owing to the complexity and expense of retro fitting the system to a car not factory wired......

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think I'm having a blonde moment as well.

My Aero's an 05, so I suspect it's pre-wired.

I find myself with navigation system envy, and wish I would have purchased an Aero w/ the navigation. I don't need navigation, as I can read maps pretty well, but the urge to have another gadget is irrestistible.

I was just thinking outlout about what functionality exists w/in the SID display w/o the SATNav installed.

That started another train of thought where I wondered if the SATNav has the trip computer integrated. If it didn't, then the aftermarket units (especially a Kenwood unit I was looking at) become pretty attractive

My mind is jumping around a bit today - too much caffeine

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
tony m said:
My Aero's an 05, so I suspect it's pre-wired.

I find myself with navigation system envy, and wish I would have purchased an Aero w/ the navigation. I don't need navigation, as I can read maps pretty well, but the urge to have another gadget is irrestistible.

I was just thinking outlout about what functionality exists w/in the SID display w/o the SATNav installed.

That started another train of thought where I wondered if the SATNav has the trip computer integrated. If it didn't, then the aftermarket units (especially a Kenwood unit I was looking at) become pretty attractive
I doubt it is pre-wired, it seems the SatNav loom is very different to the normal audio loom, see that link I posted to a previous thread on this subject.

SID isn't different, and I can't see the need for it to be either....:confused:
The SID sits prefectly well just above the Nav unit, why integrate it?

I don't really need 75% of the features of the SatNav either, as, being an ex-rally navigator, my map reading's OK as well;) . I tend to just use it as a convenient moving map display when needed, replacing all those paper ones folded up in the door pocket........:cheesy:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts