SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone
i am now in the process of putting some tires on the 16''bbs rims i just purchased for the 9 5 aero and i don t know which way to go with it?
i currently have 17'' saab stock wheels but i have been told that 16's are a lot better in the winter(thus the 16inch wheels purchase). my question is what size tire for those 16"s and what make?i was thinking either continental, pirelli or michelin? anyone know anything? thank you :confused:

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
It's the same for any car: taller, narrower tires for ice and snow traction.

There are several good threads about snow tires in the lounge....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Saab recommend the 16 inch wheels for their cars. Both 9-3 and 9-5 Aero.
I put winter tyres on last winter over stock winter steels from Saab - size 205 55 R16. Bought myself, wait for it - Nokian winter tyres. Dunno if you get them out your way but these guys do great winter tyres at a reasonable cost. Coming from the same place as the other Nokia(n) they know a bit about winter. Here in Europe they are very well known and my preferred winter tyre. Look for the WR G2. Sure theré are plenty of alternatives out there but here's one decent example for a start!

·
Registered
691 Posts
You can always try checking craigslist for good deals. Even in the DC area which doesn't see too much snow they pop up about twice a month. I managed to snag a near-mint set of Bridgestone Blizzak Revos with one season of use on them on some Saab steelies for a fraction of their true value. You never know what you come up with, but I do find that there are fewer discrepancies between winter tires than, say, summer performance tires.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I run the same size for winter as I do for summer on my 16s. 215/55/16. Bridgestone Blizzak is the way to go for a studless winter tire. The whole thing about narrow tires vs wide tires is all a question of what kind of winter you have. If you get a lot of fresh snow to drive through, a wider tire will float more, however, if everything ices over, a wider tire with have more surface area of siping, and thus have more traction. I have tried the Michelin X-Ice, and the Blizzak is vastly superior.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I love the Michelin Primacy MXV4 for my stock 215/55/16 rims..

I've never had any problems in snow with them... but we don't really get THAT much snow in KS

·
Registered
248 Posts
hi everyone
my question is what size tire for those 16"s and what make?i was thinking either continental, pirelli or michelin? anyone know anything? thank you :confused:
I've lived all over northern New England for over 30 winters. I've tried many brands on many cars. The best, IMO, is the Bridgestone Blizzak studless. I've had them on VWs, Hondas, & now the 9-5, since the 80's & they always get me through. I bought a used set for my Saab and another set for the wife's Honda for about $100 each in the Burlington area a couple winters ago.
If you need studs (if you drive in icy or packed snow conditions) then go with studded tires...I'd suggest Nokian (seems 1/2 of VT runs them).
BTW, I tried a set of Gislaved's on my 9-5, but after a few snowstorms, I dumped them for Blizzaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts