SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
10,073 Posts
What springs are those on your 9-5, Qwik? I love that rear spoiler. I have one, but I need to get it painted the right color.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Original springs the car came with. Removed media blasted powdercoated replaced , with B6 Bilstein shocks and struts. Maptun roof spoiler with carbon lip body color code

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Where did you find Lesjofors and Suplex sport springs? I hadn't seen those in my searches. I'd like to think that there's something better out there than the OEM Aero springs. Either Lesjofors or Suplex are OEM, but I'm not sure witch one.
thesaabsite.com carries the Suplex for wagons with a "sport chassis." They also carry the Lesjofors and OES, but the OES are $80/spring vs $50/spring for the other two brands.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ride height is important because both toe and camber increase to the negative when the springs sag.

I personally am and advocate of spring spacers because they effectively solve the problem and are good value. New springs are a crap shoot. PERIOD.

Lower outer bushes are prone to wear as well.

Shims without ride height being right are not the way to go.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I put on spring spacers with Bilsteins about 8-9 years ago and they have been great. I checked the rose bushings 2 years ago and they look like new. I am not sure what caused the full diaper sag to my car. Originally I used the shims but I did not feel comfortable stacking them to get it in spec.

Just a heads up I ordered the wrong spring spacers back then. I have the 38mm versions for OEM struts. If you want them all you have to pay for is shipping. They are from ig3tech. Let me know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I put on spring spacers with Bilsteins about 8-9 years ago and they have been great. I checked the rose bushings 2 years ago and they look like new. I am not sure what caused the full diaper sag to my car. Originally I used the shims but I did not feel comfortable stacking them to get it in spec.

Just a heads up I ordered the wrong spring spacers back then. I have the 38mm versions for OEM struts. If you want them all you have to pay for is shipping. They are from ig3tech. Let me know.
Thanks for the offer. I decided to go with new Lesjofors springs, OEM struts, and have replacement rose bushings, and rear axle bushing.

I hope I have the same outcome as you had! I'll update the post with the results. Should have it done in the next week or two.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts

Thanks for the offer. I decided to go with new Lesjofors springs, OEM struts, and have replacement rose bushings, and rear axle bushing.

I hope I have the same outcome as you had! I'll update the post with the results. Should have it done in the next week or two.
good move. You may need rear shock upper bracket.

·
Registered
719 Posts

Those new springs will sag. Spacers would have been cheaper and a better solution.

Just my educated and experienced opinion.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
My rose bushings were perfect. My car had only 60k on it when it was had the sagging rear end. Now 8-9 year later it is still perfect with the spring spacers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,073 Posts
I bought new factory springs from eSaabparts just over a year ago, and they were about an inch low right out of the box. I had to get 25mm spacers to bring the back end up to spec, and it looks like one of them has sagged a little more since then.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Let’s do a lottery. Settle 1/4 inch Max 1/2 and done. OP keep us on the loop thanks
Lottery OK what is the bet?
Thanks for the detailed reply--it's helpful. Also, very interesting what you said about swapping the suspension completely with a non-sport version.

I completely agree on the shims and adjustable transverse arms. I'd like to fix the root of the issue rather than put a bandaid on it.

I think I'll probably bite the bullet and do new springs, dampers, rear bushings all at the same time. So I won't be able to say for sure what part caused what, but at least it'll be fixed (fingers crossed).

I'm not planning on tackling the front suspension, so I'm going to stick with Aero specs in the back.

Should I order OEM springs? The other two options I've found for sport suspension are Lesjofors or Suplex.
Thanks for the detailed reply--it's helpful. Also, very interesting what you said about swapping the suspension completely with a non-sport version.

I completely agree on the shims and adjustable transverse arms. I'd like to fix the root of the issue rather than put a bandaid on it.

I think I'll probably bite the bullet and do new springs, dampers, rear bushings all at the same time. So I won't be able to say for sure what part caused what, but at least it'll be fixed (fingers crossed).

I'm not planning on tackling the front suspension, so I'm going to stick with Aero specs in the back.

Should I order OEM springs? The other two options I've found for sport suspension are Lesjofors or Suplex.
"I'd like to fix the root of the issue rather than put a bandaid on it. " Well the root cause is ride height. PERIOD. AND springs sag.

So new springs are a crap shoot. As many have found out you end up needing to adjust the ride height. This is best done with spring spacers.

I keep seeing all this discussion about buying new springs and hoping that the ride height will be OK. lots of discussion on what are the right springs.

In the suspension tuning world you have shocks with adjustable spring perches and/or spacers to adjust ride height. Race cars do it this way. Motorcycles do it this way. Yet in this thread we seem to be suggesting springs rather that doing a proper adjustment with spring spacers.

Why?
I don't get it.
Can someone explain?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Update: Just finished replacing the rear springs and struts on the Aero Wagon. I used OEM spec Lesjofors springs and EOM struts.

I did not end up replacing the rose bushings or axle bushings. After inspecting them they seemed solid and good for a while yet.

Results with a full tank of gas:
LF - 23 1/4"
RF - 23 1/4"
LR - 22 3/4"
RR - 22 3/4"

Results with empty tank of gas:
LF - 23 1/4"
RF - 23 1/4"
LR - 23 1/4"
RR - 23 1/4"

Before replacement these were my numbers with a full tank of gas:
LF - 23 1/4"
RF - 23 1/8"
LR - 22 1/4"
RR - 22 3/8"

As you can see the new springs corrected the problem by only about 1/2" of added ride height. It's still about 1 1/4" below factory spec.

Looks like I'm going to try spring spacers next. :LOL::rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,073 Posts
From the bottom of the wheel (not the tire), to the bottom of the fender lip. There's been don't discussion in the past about whether you measure to the metal fender lip or the plastic fender liner, bit I'd assume that Saab means the actual metal fender.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Update: I added 29mm spring spacers from rs73ca on eBay. It brought my rear ride height almost back to factory spec. It took me about 1h to install. Close enough!

LF - 23 1/4"
RF - 23 1/4"
LR - 23 3/4"
RR - 23 3/4"

·
Registered
959 Posts
I've found the issue is the center bushings that cause the sag, which is why new springs arent correcting the ride height.. . obviously it isnt the issue lol

They are damn near impossible to replace, and I have the factory tool for this. Best bet is to just replace the arms.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts