SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a sagging suspension on my 2002 9-5 Aero wagon with OEM 17" wheels and suspension. The ride height is roughly 1.5" lower than factory in the back and about 3/4 of an inch low in the front.

Front camber is 1.5˚ on both wheels (just 0.1˚ outside spec). Rear camber is 2.4˚ on left and 2.3˚ on the right.

Here's the ride height measurements (measuring from lowest point of rim to metalwork on the edge of the fender):

LF - 23 1/4"
RF - 23 1/8"
LR - 22 1/4"
RR - 22 3/8"

I've done quite a bit of reading and watching of videos about the different causes and ways to fix it. What's the best way to sequence the repairs?

1) Spring spacers to fix ride height. (Does 1" of spring spacer equal 1" of ride height?)
2) Then, if that doesn't completely solve it, replace rear suspension bushings with poly (except for the rear subframe).

Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
I bought new springs for my 2000 Aero wagon and they were 25mm too low right out of the box. I put spacers on them to get the back up to the correct ride height, and now, not even a year later, the left one seems to be sagging even more. I'm very disappointed, to say the least.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
I bought new springs for my 2000 Aero wagon and they were 25mm too low right out of the box. I put spacers on them to get the back up to the correct ride height, and now, not even a year later, the left one seems to be sagging even more. I'm very disappointed, to say the least.
Wow that’s very troubling. Which is one of the reasons why I buy from Maptun with vin. I have confidence that the Swedes in their homeland got their collective s**t together. I always get great service correct parts and even warranty ; that on a bad resonator / no questions just a new pArt PDQ.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Rear bushes.

My experience - (2004 Aero estate) 113K miles at the time, the rear tyre inner edges were "blocked" because the camber was off. It had sunk on its suspension too, as the estates all do. My mech straight away suggested the rear rose bushes needed replacing, and this brought the camber back close to spec. Not completely of course, as the height was a little off. My trailing arm buses had been replaced at 75k miles so they were ok.

I believe the suspension sagging and bush distortion both affect the camber, toe and castor, in a different way at the back vs. the front obviously, as the geometry/movement is different.

I have also been told the dampers can contribute to a sagged rear end, by internal friction not allowing them to rebound fully, and the weakened spring doesn't "push" it back. Not sure about this theory though.

Spacers (rear) would probably be a cheaper solution than bush renewal, but you still have the distorted bushes skewing the hub position even after you've raised the height, because the bush collapse affects more than just the up/down.

Other things people do to "correct" the geometry is shim the hubs, the shims being available I think from Taliafero/Genuine Saab, and fitting adjustable transverse arms like those on the Saturn (I believe). These solutions could be considered band-aids.

My rear rose bush replace cured the inner tyre shoulder wear and raised the height very slightly. As the whole suspension was getting crashy and noisy by about 130K I had a used non-sport set of units fitted, from a 75k mile car. I have no need for sport suspension, I like a soft ride. Best money I ever spent on it. Quieter, smoother, height increased a bit more, geometry all within limits.

Generally the rule is that there's no point trying to align it if the height is wrong. On that basis, I'd replace the springs first and see if that corrects the height. If not, rear rose bushes. Might as well consider the trailing arm bushes while you're down there. Then have the alignment checked and if the computer says the rear toe can't be adjusted, tell them it can and show them the three bolts holding the trailing arm bush housing to the body.

As regards front camber, take the covers off the strut tops in the engine bay (ensuring the car is on a perfectly flat/level surface) and see whether the top of the strut is dead centre in the hole. I've heard of people reaming out the holes in the body to allow some correction.

I look forward to others' solutions/ideas. Its always interesting when this topic comes up.

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
In 2016-17 the shop changed the rear springs on my 2003 Linear wagon. Replacement springs were Suplex I think--they came from RockAuto if I recall. Bushings were also replaced. One of the original springs was broken, so forget spacers.

No sagging or funny things happening. The car has had fair loads dropped in the back, and has also hauled a trailer with pretty good tongue weight.

Is it my imagination, or are most of the "my wagon's rear springs are sagging" stories come with the Aero, not the base, suspension?

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
The problem's definitely worse on the Aeros. Quite a few of those end up with their tires tucked up into the fenders if they're not fixed. I checked my local Craigslist, and there are three 9-5 wagons there, all non-Aeros. One looks like the back end is sagging:

The other two look decent:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That is frustrating. I've read about lots of people with that problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow that’s very troubling. Which is one of the reasons why I buy from Maptun with vin. I have confidence that the Swedes in their homeland got their collective s**t together. I always get great service correct parts and even warranty ; that on a bad resonator / no questions just a new pArt PDQ.
Maptun is new to me. Thanks for the tip. I looked it up and it seems they've only got Maptun XT-Series Lowering Springs. Which is ironic since I'm trying to get the car back to factory ride height! Here's what they say about it: "Saab 9-5 - 1998-2010 - All Estate Models. This will lower the standard 9-5 35 mm. If you have an Aero, they are already lowered by 10 mm, this spring set will lower it a further 25 mm."

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I look forward to others' solutions/ideas. Its always interesting when this topic comes up.
Thanks for the detailed reply--it's helpful. Also, very interesting what you said about swapping the suspension completely with a non-sport version.

I completely agree on the shims and adjustable transverse arms. I'd like to fix the root of the issue rather than put a bandaid on it.

I think I'll probably bite the bullet and do new springs, dampers, rear bushings all at the same time. So I won't be able to say for sure what part caused what, but at least it'll be fixed (fingers crossed).

I'm not planning on tackling the front suspension, so I'm going to stick with Aero specs in the back.

Should I order OEM springs? The other two options I've found for sport suspension are Lesjofors or Suplex.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
Where did you find Lesjofors and Suplex sport springs? I hadn't seen those in my searches. I'd like to think that there's something better out there than the OEM Aero springs. Either Lesjofors or Suplex are OEM, but I'm not sure witch one.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply--it's helpful. Also, very interesting what you said about swapping the suspension completely with a non-sport version.

I completely agree on the shims and adjustable transverse arms. I'd like to fix the root of the issue rather than put a bandaid on it.

I think I'll probably bite the bullet and do new springs, dampers, rear bushings all at the same time. So I won't be able to say for sure what part caused what, but at least it'll be fixed (fingers crossed).

I'm not planning on tackling the front suspension, so I'm going to stick with Aero specs in the back.

Should I order OEM springs? The other two options I've found for sport suspension are Lesjofors or Suplex.
Price w/shipping for grille inserts w/chrome trim, part numbers:

12758672 center
12758673 LH
12758674 RH

intact attachment points, excellent or better condition

shipped to 12804

Thanks
Lesjöfors is OEM.
sadly OEM is better than a cheap lowering spring but not as good as ,say , a hypercoil. That said there are so many codes on the OEM spring ( mine were blue/yellow / green and a party number iirc. I wrote it form some place ) I would suggest to see if I could buy OEM lessjofors by VIN. In my case I removed , media blasted , inspected and powdercoated the springs and then reinstalled with B6 Bilstein. 235,000 km. Eventually maybe I will have to replace them but so far so good

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Esaab have brand new for 60’bux in stock. You can see by the screen shot that there are many codes. Try to figure out what you Have for a code Cheers

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
I love that they have police chassis rear springs! If only they made those in the "sport chassis" height.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Cheap OEM springs sag and lose rate. Try the police ones. If won’t be long lol I watch the Wallender cop
Shows. Lots of Saab’s in the frame

1 - 20 of 103 Posts