SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my friends thought it would be cool to mess around with my 5-speed and of course not knowing anything about cars attempted to shift it into reverse without the clutch in. He forced it and broke the safety lever that has to be depressed. The only thing now is it is harder to shift into 5th and when shifting to reverse you just push it over and throw it down because the lever does not work. Obviously I have to tell my parents, which will get angry. How much do you think this will cost to replace?

The thing that pisses me off is that Saab made such a weak safety for reverse, it had to be plastic because it snapped. Now you can hear the sound of a loose piece of plastic when shifting to reverse.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Tracer said:
The thing that pisses me off is that Saab made such a weak safety for reverse
If anything you should be pissed at your friend. The fact that the part was plastic really doesn't have that much to do with it. These things are not really that delicate and don't just break, but like many things they're certainly not going to stand up to a determined fool.

It sounds like the reverse lockout was broken. If so, it's not really a big deal to fix-- maybe an hour of labor and whatever the cost of the parts that broke.

You might even be able to fix this yourself and save 50-100 bucks. Do some research online to see what the shifting mechanism is supposed to look like (MP Performance's how-to for short-shifter installation is pretty good for pictures IIRC) and compare it to yours.

Keep your friend away from your car!

Good luck,
T

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
No engineer can design something stupidity proof.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Yep, two things happened here:

1. the previously mentioned snapping of the reverse lockout. No biggie as many standards don't have this anyway

2. you friend's forcing action pulled the shift lever out of alignment. Try a forum search under this or take it to your mechanic if you don't feel competent enough. It's a simple procedure that will take maybe 15-20 minutes to complete.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts