SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in July, I had my indie mechanic (most of his work is on VW and Audi's)do a complete brake job front and rear (new Brembo OEM replacement rotors, and OEM Saab pads) on my 2003 9-5 LPT.

I remember he had to heat up the bolts on the front caliper carrier brackets to remove them. This was the only way we could get the rotors off, as there wasn't enough clearance to remove them. Turns out the reason he had to heat them was there was Locktite on the bolts. Is this from the factory? I purchased the car as a certified used vehicle, so I wasn't sure if the car had new rotors before, or not. He did not put any Locktite on the bolts when he reassembled everything. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Last week, some of the guys from work were talking about a brake job they did, and mentioned putting Locktite on the bolts. (this was not a Saab). I mentioned my story, and they seemed convinced my mechanic should have used Locktite when he put them back in.

So any ideas? Should I even be concerned at all? Thanks.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Yes threadlock is applied at factory - if you buy new bolts the stuff is on the threads.

Yes its a good idea to put it on.

No I never have done and they have never come loose ;)

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Bolts come with blue medium-strength loctite on the threads. But I have never needed to heat one to remove it. A 2' breaker bar with a 3' pipe and a 6'3" 200lb groaning guy on the end of it has worked every time.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts