21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
i see your turbine and raise you mine!
I raise mine back :cheesy:, now from my collection (A KKK K03 I was given):

Yes, the shaft snapped. :eek:

In any case, it seems to me your turbo ingested something. So I guess the high bost did not kill it but it was some opening in front of the compressor that let something nasty and larger than a grain of sand (different damage) but smaller than the nut in front of the turbo hit it. As there are no scratches in the compressor housing which would make me believe the bearings are ok. Does it wobble side to side? Does it spin easily? Can you hold the turbine and try to spin the compressor, just to see if the shaft snapped?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
it builds boost, but yes, it does wobble, it has about... 3-4mm of play in the shaft, and that pic was taken before i turned the car on and played with it a little bit... i saw it make scratches in the side while it was running :x

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
supremedalek said:
n any case, it seems to me your turbo ingested something. So I guess the high bost did not kill it but it was some opening in front of the compressor that let something nasty and larger than a grain of sand (different damage) but smaller than the nut in front of the turbo hit it. As there are no scratches in the compressor housing which would make me believe the bearings are ok. Does it wobble side to side? Does it spin easily? Can you hold the turbine and try to spin the compressor, just to see if the shaft snapped?
Update: now that I look into your blades more carefully, I am not so sure you ingested something anymore. I need to check with a friend but I start to think you indeed could have overspun the turbo to the point parts were pulled off due to centrifugal force. I am still not sure because I cannot explain why the leading edge of all the large blades are also chewed.

mikewitdaspike said:
it builds boost, but yes, it does wobble, it has about... 3-4mm of play in the shaft, and that pic was taken before i turned the car on and played with it a little bit... i saw it make scratches in the side while it was running :x
What that means is that since the compressor wheel has some missing naughty bits, it is off balance. So, it will wobble (at 50-100K rpm:eek:), chewing the turbo bearings and possible having the turbine chew its housing.

Do you have access to junkyards? If so, try checking pre-88 Volvos (240 and 740/760) as they had Garretts, and turbo dodges before that period too. If you a really in a bind and is willing do swap it, I can probably find you a compressor wheel and have it shipped your way tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
i would do a rebuild, but the problem is i can't afford to have my car off the road for more than a few hours :x i'm thinkin if it's safe to drive it like it is right now, then i'll just run it like that till i get a new turbo, and swap em out in a few hours, and (if it's rebuildable) have my old on rebuilt, and try to make a little bit of return on it :lol:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I don't think that's really rebuildable ;)

Your main issue is going to be the little chunks of metal flowing into the intercooler and the engine. That can cause damage/wear. You should put like an air filter after the turbo or something :lol:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I may still have a T3 I have not torn apart yet. It is oily but it seems to work. You may have to clock it for the Saab as it was a Volvo one (RWD). You are welcome to borrow it.

That said, I believe you cannot do much harm to the car driving with your current turbo. The intercooler has been acting as your catch pan (you will probably need to reverse flush it with water later to clean the particles out), but I agree that some kind of filter (I am thinking on those fine metal mesh kitchen thingies you pour stuff on to be drained. The really fine mesh ones) that you can clamp on the compressor outlet would stop adding more parts. FYI, we were going to put something like that in my Mercedes turbodiesel because it did not have an intercooler and we were going to run the boost on insane mode on its stock turbo.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Ebay is your friend. Just pick up a used unit with little to no shaft play.

That turbo is SCREWED!

Please stop posting pics, it makes my stomach hurt. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
woywitka said:
Please stop posting pics, it makes my stomach hurt. :(
Im sorry, but I can't miss the opportunity to share a pic of my somewhat decent turbo on my somewhat very dead 900. : )

Just got around to taking off all of the innercooler pipes so I could finally see the condition of the turbo. Seems pretty nice, unfortunately the car may never see the road again. How much could I get for a used turbo like this one off a '85 900t with 110 miles?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
captainmo said:
Im sorry, but I can't miss the opportunity to share a pic of my somewhat decent turbo on my somewhat very dead 900. : )

Just got around to taking off all of the innercooler pipes so I could finally see the condition of the turbo. Seems pretty nice, unfortunately the car may never see the road again. How much could I get for a used turbo like this one off a '85 900t with 110 miles?
I do not know how much it would worth but I do know someone who could use it. *hint* *hint* ;)

Now, what is wrong with your 900?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
hmmm, looks like i'm getting a used one that works from my mechanic for $100, so i think i'll just run with that and save up my money for when that one fails :lol:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
captainmo said:
Seems pretty nice, unfortunately the car may never see the road again. How much could I get for a used turbo like this one off a '85 900t with 110 miles?

That turbine has an odd split in it, and looks like it's somehow off center. It would also appear that at least part of it has been rubbing the housing.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts