SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i know you all know about my broken turbo by now :lol: at the moment it screeches like hell for about the first ten minutes of driving, then its quiet (but spools up and boosts up to base boost)... is it safe to drive it like this? or is it likely it'll shatter and go through my intake?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Mike, get that spike out of your head!

You should not be boosting till it is warm anyways! You will DESTROY IT!

I used Mobil 1 and care when cold for 80,000+kms on my 89 turbo after the first time I heard it scream.

Is it somoking? If not, leave it alone if it is quiet while warm. I mad boosted mine warm for a lOOOONG time, and it would snoke at idle if cold. Never got worse.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know i know ;oops: i destroyed the turbo by frying it (boosted hard for a while then shut it off without letting it cool down), and i do let it warm up, i let it idle for a minute before i start driving it, and i don't go into boost until the temp. gauge is at least halfway up

EDIT: it screeches real bad upon any acceleration when cold, boosting or not

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Are you positive its the turbo and not a harmonic balancer screeching? At any rate, if the turbo is shot and needs to be replaced or seriously remanned, what further damage are you going to do that would suddenly make it not only worse, but not more better? Its only going to go downhill untill it doesn't work at all.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Jetman, did you see what he did to his turbo? He drove without the wastegate connected AT ALL for a month :roll:

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
You can remove the air side compressor if you like, its safe to drive with a smashed up compressor as long as you don't try and boost big.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Mike- If the turb grenades itself, I think the tiny shards will get stuck to the oil in the inlet system and the i/c.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
So its not simply worn then?;oops: :eek:

Na, I didn't read that thread.

TheRedBaron said:
Jetman, did you see what he did to his turbo? He drove without the wastegate connected AT ALL for a month :roll:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
i know i know ;oops: i destroyed the turbo by frying it (boosted hard for a while then shut it off without letting it cool down), and i do let it warm up, i let it idle for a minute before i start driving it, and i don't go into boost until the temp. gauge is at least halfway up

EDIT: it screeches real bad upon any acceleration when cold, boosting or not
That shouldn't damage the turbo. I mean we all say "let it idle down" especially with the 1987 type, but seriously this isn't something that would cook the turbo if you did it once, or even if you did it 50 times - if you did it every time for 20 years THEN maybe you would have a problem.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you guys really think it was just the fact that i drove without my wastegate connected? i mean, i never made it build up boost past the far edge of the red :confused:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
you guys really think it was just the fact that i drove without my wastegate connected? i mean, i never made it build up boost past the far edge of the red :confused:

So you did have some restraint! I was thinking you let the boost needle wrap around a couple of times!

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
No the reason your compressor had a fit was because of the play or bearing wear, the in and out play makes the compressor touch the housing and blow up and the lateral play allows it to make the sound you love:lol:

This would have happened sooner or later so take heart in that.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha, naw, my car is my only mode of transportation i have, if it goes, i have my bicycle :eek: now, i'm not gonna lie, i let the boost needle bounce off the pin once or twice, but not regularly

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
You don't want to do crazy boost... the point of limiting boost is to prevent detonation, if the engine detonates it will not only hurt power but it can explode and this is bad :lol:

Don't forget in detonation what happens is the air fuel charge explodes at once instead of combusting in a nice slow moving flamefront (imagine dynamite vs. piece of wood) and the pressure spike since the piston is still moving upward could easily break stuff bigtime.

Damage to the turbo, not really I mean the pressure is not very high.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
true... and it did start knocking once, and it's never done it again! (i boosted a LOT in a short time, then boosted really high one too many times and i heard it, so far i haven't heard it again)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Can you take those hoses off the front of the turbo, stick your ugly head (or camera) and see how the compressor wheel looks like? This is the one off my Saab.

I have to say I did not expect it to be in such a good shape. Yest, the wheel and nut are covered in some oily goo but I reall do not see sights of it chewing the housing or eating nasties.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
yikes! elkparts

1 - 20 of 31 Posts