SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I hit a cement barrier on a wet bridge. I only hit the barrier going ten miles per hour, however, it messed up the shape of my bumper. The picture will show you what I mean. The driver's side is pushed in a little bit compared to the passengers side. I need to find a way to make this look at least a little better, if not back to normal. I am limited in tools and don't really want to pay any money. Take a look and see if there is anything you think I can try. This thing looks pathetic lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hrm, really hard to tell from picture but it sorta looks like you may have tweaked the pad or the rebar behind the bumper, did you rub the corner of the bumper into it or did you smack it sorta towards the passenger side head on? Trying to figure out which way the bumper is twisting because the lights grill and all seem to match up still but you are surely deformed on the drivers right side. Anyway if the pad or rebar got tweaked or twisted a little that will cause the whole bumper to not fit like it should.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hit it directly. Think like driving head on into a wall, but off to the side having the drivers side taking more of the impact.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
There's a styrofoam spacer behind the bumper that's probably broken.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Take it apart and see what's broken - check auto wreckers for replacement parts. Looks like the plastic skin is OK but foam or steel reinforcement beneath are damaged.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
If it's the foam I have one sitting in the back yard.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Take it apart and see what's broken - check auto wreckers for replacement parts. Looks like the plastic skin is OK but foam or steel reinforcement beneath are damaged.

The foam would not hold a bumper in shape like that. I'm betting the steel reinforcement is bent, holding the bumper in. The plastic skin is attached to the reinforcement by a bunch of tabs (which I'm surprised didn't break right off).

You would have to remove the bumper cover to verify anything, and to certainly replace any bent/ broken parts.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
The foam would not hold a bumper in shape like that. I'm betting the steel reinforcement is bent, holding the bumper in. The plastic skin is attached to the reinforcement by a bunch of tabs (which I'm surprised didn't break right off).

You would have to remove the bumper cover to verify anything, and to certainly replace any bent/ broken parts.
The bumper has no metal parts I can see. The only other thing that would be there would be the front member bar those shouldn't bend that easily

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
What don't you have in your backyard? Lol
All that stuff comes from a 99 I parted out. Most of it sold on ebay/craigslist and I still have some stuff left. A friend of my is going to help me get the Tranny out then i'm scrapping the rest. I mean to list some of it in the SC classified just haven't got around to making a list as yet

1 - 13 of 13 Posts