SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
OG93
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.

I’m about to replace my rear shocks and had a few questions. I have Sachs sports up front which seemed to be a bit firmer than stock when I purchaced them, but I’m not really a fan after a year. I acquired Rk1’s during that time, so that’s some of the New England discomfort. My question is, does anyone have experience with the bilstein b4’s in comparison with the Sachs sports. Are they firmer or softer? If they are about the same, is there a difference in lifespan?

For reference I drive my car with my foot on the floor (both in town and highway), but also live in a heavily pot holed area with 17’s, so I’m kinda fighting an up hill battle. I’m looking for a middle ground. Better than stock, but not jarring.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2000 93 SE Vert Auto : 2001 93 SE Vert Manual
58 Posts
I can't answer your question directly, but I hate to see a post go unanswered.

I have two Saabs and recently outfitted one with new Sachs (budget constraints). The other has Koni Yellow Adjustable shocks which are currently set at 1/4 turn from full soft on front and back.

To my surprise it seems that the Sachs are a harsher than my Koni's when I hit potholes. I used to run the Koni's at 1/2 turn and they were a little harsher, so I feel that the Koni's can be adjusted to suit your driving style.

On the highway the car with the Koni's feels noticeably more settled when hitting dips and bumps, but it also has a subframe brace, larger strut brace and larger rear sway bar so a comparison between the two cars might not be fair.

I looked into the Bilsteins as well and the feedback I got from the forum was that they were going to be harsher than the Sachs and Koni's. Had I the funds I would have Koni's on both Saabs.

·
Registered
OG93
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Sachs sports up front are harsh in an uncomfortable way but I don’t notice that much better handling at speed. Again my 17’s are some of the discomfort when around town. I’m wondering if the b4’s would be better (stiff but better handling), or if it really would be a stock factory Sachs feel. Anyways, I just bough the Sachs sports rears to match the front. Still not positive if I’ll install though.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Bilstein will tell you that the B4's are valved to be like the OEM (SACHS) shocks... but with better control (not handling, just shock operation). If you want better handling it's the B6.

Are you running 215's or 225's on the 17's?

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Bilstein will tell you that the B4's are valved to be like the OEM (SACHS) shocks... but with better control (not handling, just shock operation). If you want better handling it's the B6.

I would not say that stiffer shocks necessarily produce better handling. The B6 on my 9-5 wagon provide great control at speed over large humps and dips, and really shine if I've hooked up a 1000 LB trailer.

On the other hand, the B6 stiffness seems to be in reacting to minor bumps and cracks in the road. This is not good for handling if the roads aren't smooth. I drove a live-axle 1978 Trans Am long enough to know how it would skip sideways on minor bumps and cracks when cornering. The 9-5 does a (slightly more sophisticated) version of this.

Granted, you don't want inadequate shocks that let the weight transfer willy-nilly all over the place. But a rigid suspension and zero body roll aren't the answer either, else your old red wagon would have go-kart handling.

·
Registered
OG93
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

225/45. I researched on here a lot before I bought. I tried to get as much tire as I could.

·
Registered
OG93
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed the new Sachs sports the other day and my driver rear still sags. It’s about a half inch lower than the pass side. The driver rear had some camber issues that seemed to go away with the struts (at least to a level I’m okay with). Could that be why it’s lower? Or do I just need new springs?

The front also sits about a half inch higher than the rear. Is that normal?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Shocks won't do anything for sagging suspension.

Edit: I was confusing the 9-5 with the 9-3 again. :rolleyes:

Springs on the NG900 and 9-3 almost never sag. I've never heard of factory springs sagging (not to say it can't happen), but if you have aftermarket ones, it's entirely possible that they've sagged. The rear suspension is so dirt simple on these cars that about the only things that can affect anything are the shocks and springs. If it's sagging, I'd replace the springs. They're pretty cheap, especially the factory versions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts