SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saba,
I looked at your stereo upgrade instructions... good stuff! Thanks for the major documentation!! :)

Question: What if I just put in a set of 6x9's in place of the replacement 4" rounds in the stage 1 setup? I really don't want to have 2 amps and all that mess going on.;)

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you do that, you will have significantly kicking bass, but maintain weak treble throughout the system.

You really should upgrade the 4" and the front 3 1/2" tweeters. Have not tried upgraded 4" speakers without additional amplification so I cannot speak to the effect.

Best bet is to get a 4 channel amp and get it done.:cool:

·
Registered
203 Posts
The 6x9" are oversized for the current power of EHU amplifier. They sound better and more clear than the 4" current stock spkrs, but it's a disappointing experience.

Go for the aditional AMP, you can really do it by yourself w/o a lot of trouble. The result is great!

As finwake advises, best option would be a 4 channel amp and connect it to new 4" and 6x9" :cheesy:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I tried that when I did mine and its sounds like a small transistor radio (a bad one at that too even when amped). I would have gone 4 channel too, but I already had one of the amps and just got another one. I may go 4 channel, but my current setup works well. No problems at all after 18 months.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
This ES1-4 base system is kind of difficult to work with. Victor has made the most ambitious go of it, to his credit.

The problem is there is no place to get a good bass signal. Unfortunately, buying AMP1 from Saab is cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
353 Posts
ctrlz said:
This ES1-4 base system is kind of difficult to work with. Victor has made the most ambitious go of it, to his credit.

The problem is there is no place to get a good bass signal. Unfortunately, buying AMP1 from Saab is cost prohibitive.
Agreed. Upgrading the 150/7 system has been fun and not too challenging since Saba paved the road to success. Producing this ES1-4 system without any bass output is really a shameful thing. No bass in your clock radio, sure; no bass in your car stereo, what a shame, what a shame, what a shame...:roll:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
finwake said:
Agreed. Upgrading the 150/7 system has been fun and not too challenging since Saba paved the road to success. Producing this ES1-4 system without any bass output is really a shameful thing. No bass in your clock radio, sure; no bass in your car stereo, what a shame, what a shame, what a shame...:roll:
Well I mean, the ES1-4 is basically a clock radio with extra speakers, so....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well I mean, the ES1-4 is basically a clock radio with extra speakers, so....
Well, someone wrote "the ES1-4 is a joke". I agree completely.
...But what a bad joke...

I'm now to try the converting from fiberoptics to RCA-Analogic, but I dunno if the layout includes the fiberoptics wire from EHU to AMP1.
Someone (from UK or similar) have done the oficial update from ES1-4 to ES1-7, and knows if it included this wiring??? Usually it's an orange wire with a white plastic tube to protect it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Calling Audiophile Gurus,
I currently have the 7 speaker 150W system and installed a second amp to power 6x9 in the rear as per Saba's excellent instructions. It works great, and the remote turn on is tapped into the red wire as per Saba's instructions. However, when the car is parked and the key is out, sometimes I would like to use the radio but in that situation, the amp will not be turned on. Is there a way to have the amp turn on when the original head unit is on? I've been advised to look into music-sensing amps but I can not for the life of me find a model that can do that. So, can anyone provide instructions on how to tap the head unit for the remote turn on or provide a model of an amplifier with the music-sense option? Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
findthisfunny said:
I currently have the 7 speaker 150W system and installed a second amp to power 6x9 in the rear as per Saba's excellent instructions. It works great, and the remote turn on is tapped into the red wire as per Saba's instructions. However, when the car is parked and the key is out, sometimes I would like to use the radio but in that situation, the amp will not be turned on. Is there a way to have the amp turn on when the original head unit is on? I've been advised to look into music-sensing amps but I can not for the life of me find a model that can do that. So, can anyone provide instructions on how to tap the head unit for the remote turn on or provide a model of an amplifier with the music-sense option? Thanks.
You would need to connect it to an "always on" power source. Which probably means connecting straight to the battery.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
findthisfunny said:
However, when the car is parked and the key is out, sometimes I would like to use the radio but in that situation, the amp will not be turned on. Is there a way to have the amp turn on when the original head unit is on?
You want RTO controlled by the EHU. I don't think there is a wire you can tap for that. The wake up signal for the CD changer is probably via fiber.

I would suggest a hidden switch providing 12 V to the wire you already have tapped into a keyed ignition source. The problem is if you leave the hidden switch turned on, you could end up with a parasitic load on your battery (and maybe a dead battery). Two ways to prevent this: 1) Never forget to deactivate your hidden switch, or 2) Get a fancy timer switch that turns itself off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts