SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just recently got a new sony head unit, mtx 6x9 speakers and my old 10" subwoofers (they were in my old car) installed and hooked up saabs around here are rare, ive seen one saab on a rim and thats it.....i was wondering who else here has a system in their saab?? i guess i could probably take pics of mine.....its 2 10" lightning audio subs with a 450 watt amp......it isnt much power but it hits pretty damn hard

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
People do, but they aren't usually "bumpin systems" mostly due to the demographic of Saabs if I had to guess.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread, just wondering.

What are the general demographics of Saab owners? I was talking to some friends about getting a Saab and they gave me some serious crap about it.

Jerel

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
stromer said:
People do, but they aren't usually "bumpin systems" mostly due to the demographic of Saabs if I had to guess.
Yeah, people around here are way more interested in sound quality rather than SPL (or just plain ol' bass). It seems like every kid interested in mobile audio has that phase though... I know I did back in high school. Now I cringe when I hear someone ride by with the bass thumping and the speakers distorting.

Right now I have an Eclipse 5 channel amp pushing a pair of Boston coaxials in the front and a pair of Alphasonik 6x9's in the rear... yeah, they're a cheapo brand but I needed something to replace the Bostons I'd cooked over the winter. The bass is fine for now, though I wouldn't mind having a little 10" sub. I need to get a LOC and run an RCA into the sub input before I do that... if you're ever looking to upgrade to a pair of better budget speakers, the Boston FX series rocks... same with Infinity Reference!

·
Registered
642 Posts
jerel said:
Not trying to hijack the thread, just wondering.

What are the general demographics of Saab owners? I was talking to some friends about getting a Saab and they gave me some serious crap about it.

Jerel
1)your friend have no idea what they are talking about
2)They will after a few mods and you blow the doors off them
3) Your in MO, which is where Nick T. and gensaab is, so you can have easy access to a great company that will be able to help you modify your saab and make it an incredible car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
jrbrangi said:
1)your friend have no idea what they are talking about
2)They will after a few mods and you blow the doors off them
3) Your in MO, which is where Nick T. and gensaab is, so you can have easy access to a great company that will be able to help you modify your saab and make it an incredible car.
Right, in fact my brother knows Nick. He used to autocross with him when we lived in Springfield. I almost went by there Saturday when I was in Springfield, but didn't.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I also went through the "system" stage at around 16-18. I never was into the big pounding bass though, simply because I value my hearing too much. Thumping bass is very damaging to your hearing, and I have known a few friends who have had long term hearing loss from their bass days. You can certainly have a nice rich sound with great bass that hits without damaging your hearing. If your bass is so strong that it is actually moving your head forward when it hits, you may want to ease off. Also if your ears are ringing when you shut off your car, turn down the stereo.

I shudder when someone drives by and their stereo is so loud that it hurts my ears, I can only imagine what it is doing to theirs. It amazes me that in the persuit of self promotion and recognition to (often) total strangers, people are willing to destroy their hearing for the rest of their lives. You need to think about the long term effects, and what you may want to do with your life down the road. Chances are you will not want to be the stock boy at the local grocery store for the rest of your life. For instance, if I had destroyed my hearing early on in life, I would have had a tough time qualifying for an FAA medical. Probably not the best example, but something I could think of in my life that would have been effected years down the road.

*note this is not targeted toward the OP, I have no idea what kind of system he has, he may like a nice system for listening to beethoven for all I know, these are simply my thoughts after reading the post.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know the general view on saabs around here is it is a preppy person car and they arent meant to be hooked up......i go to school to become an auto mechanic and take a fair amount of **** for driving a saab....im also a skater so apparently i dont fit the cars personality requirements, but the saab is quickly growing on me and wit ha few mods should make all the haters shut the hell up

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Yeah man, a lot of kids are quickly finding out that Saabs can be very quick with little modification. I still like the look on people's faces when the hear the blow-off from a Saab... it's the genuine 'WTF' look.

DougR: I started out with three 10" JLW0s in my first Jeep, then upgraded to a pair of 12" Cerwins for more bang, but eventually settled down to SQ and ran a single 12" Eclipse Aluminum. It's amazing how much quality engineering accounts for in car audio. That single Eclipse outperformed my previous setups in terms of clarity, responsiveness and equalled them in volume. But... you're right... hearing loss is very common with kids that go around blasting their music all the time.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
nab627b said:
i know the general view on saabs around here is it is a preppy person car and they arent meant to be hooked up......i go to school to become an auto mechanic and take a fair amount of **** for driving a saab....im also a skater so apparently i dont fit the cars personality requirements, but the saab is quickly growing on me and wit ha few mods should make all the haters shut the hell up
My advice to you would become a preppy mechanic who specializes in servicing high end vehicles, and open your own shop. I don't think anyone will be giving you stuff anymore.

On your theme, I don't fit the requirements for a skater, like you don't fit one for a mechanic. I work a 9-5, wear a shirt and tie to work, and probably pay more taxes than the police harassing me as if I am the scum of the earth. I don't care, I have been skating since I was about 8, and don't care to stop just because I am "too old for that". My point being, do what you want to do, no matter what people say, eventually they will respect your for it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have a decent system in mine...
Clarion Pro audio Headunit (w/ 24bit Burr Brown converter)
profile amp for speakers (dont remember the wattage)
kole audio 3.5"
infinity ref 6.5" & 6x9s
2 MA 12's
kicker 400.2 amp

My main focus is sound quality (which it has) as well as a bit of bass ;)
I didnt buy much of this new (only infinitys and MAs) The rest were used (kicker amp) gift (kole 3.5") or free (headunit) I dont know how much Ive spent, but its all less than $500...

And for the record im 19, but my dad is into stereo stuff too (he had 2 12s in his last car)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts