SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
While none of this is a done deal yet, it sure is nice to see some of our "rumors & speculations" ("pretty strong succesor" to the 9-5, AWD for all models, more engine offerings, 9-4x) discussed so openly by an exec like this ... Also nice to see another interview where they talk about remaining true to Saab's character & involving "the folks in Sweden."

Now, let's just hope GM has the brains & the gumption to work these plans and do them right ... things may be headed for the right track :)

G

·
Good interview, and I like him better than the last Saab general manager. In my opinion, Saab can't let the 9-7x continue on the 360 platform after the new TrailBlazer and Envoy appear, but I would be open to having a 9-4x, 9-6x, and 9-7x. Just as long as we get a new 9-2, 9-3, and 9-5, and possibly that "Sonett" he hinted at.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yup, sure he isn't ruling anything out, but he's not exactly commiting himself either is he? 'A pretty strong successor to the 9-5' = not an inspiring description for what needs to a 5-series beater?!?!:confused:

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
While I like his openess, Jay is actually not telling us much more than what we already know. Everything is "a few years out". Well as we have seen, a LOT can happen in just a few years in the auto industry particularly with Saab.

Yeah I like the guy too (then again anyone is better than DKE), but I was really hoping to hear more definitive commitment to a Sonett IV and/or a Euro-derived 9-2X, some expansion of the 9-5 line (ie: convertible, 2-dr luxo coupe) and maybe even a flagship higher than 9-5. He says "renaissance" ? Yeah well that's MY renaissance :confused:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Concept to Product

SaabKen said:
Everything is "a few years out". Well as we have seen, a LOT can happen in just a few years in the auto industry particularly with Saab.
I know with today's computer technology, what with CAD and computer rendering & simulation, that the product cycle (from Concept to Dealers) has been decreased to never-before-seen levels.

How long does it typically take (I know different vehicles take differing amounts of time) to get a product from the drawing board to the dealer showroom floor?

For example, if someone started drafting an SUV or a roadster or a small hatch in Trollhattan today, when would we be able to see it on showroom floors?

G

·
1985 Gripen said:
I know with today's computer technology, what with CAD and computer rendering & simulation, that the product cycle (from Concept to Dealers) has been decreased to never-before-seen levels.

How long does it typically take (I know different vehicles take differing amounts of time) to get a product from the drawing board to the dealer showroom floor?

For example, if someone started drafting an SUV or a roadster or a small hatch in Trollhattan today, when would we be able to see it on showroom floors?
A typical timeframe for a "from scratch" vehicle would be 4-5 years. Since Saab is using GM's platforms, that would be somewhat less time, assuming it would be developed simmilar to the way the most recent 9-3 line was. That's why he was saying the 9-4X would be seen closer to the end of the decade, meaning they're putting a lot of Saab into it, or the whole project is in limbo somewhat.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I think Ken hit the nail on the head. There's not much here that hasn't already been revealed in dribs and drabs elsewhere.

I think Jay missed a real opportunity to galvanise the Saab community with an interview like this one. There's been a fair bit of to-ing and fro-ing about the various new models and I think this would have been a good opportunity to exhibit some enthusiastic leadership in public view. I have a feeling he does that within the confines of the Borg Collective, I just think it would have been good for him to do it publicly.

Good to hear from him nonetheless.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The new CEO Jan-Åke Jonsson at Trollhättan had an interview in the beginning of this summer. He also gave a positive feel in his interview. He talked about new models, that there will be Saab cars assembled in Trollhättan even after 2010. That the design enter will make sure to make a Saab unique within GM.

And Jan-Åke Jonsson knows what SAAB is about. Cause he started his Saab career in 1973.
I'll quote him: "Thing have not looked so good for Saab in many years as it does now":suprised;

God bless him!

·
Registered
379 Posts
did i read it wrong?--i'm not 'feeling it' from that interview.

...seems like just big and small suv's are coming out of the saab pipeline in the next 4-5 years.

...sounded very 'iffy' about a sonnett.

my wish for a hatch (not a wagon) is not lookin' too good at the moment.

how about a model that's sportier and/or more versatile than a sedan, but doesn't hog or waste resources (space/fuel...) like a big/small suv.

i hope this interview doesn't give me a nightmare tonight.

i was more impressed by the interviewer's breadth of questions, inferences, and 'clues' than i was with the interviewee's suv 'frothing.' seems like saab just wants a whole range of those things. it'll be hard to wait for all this wooziness to pass.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Yes ! I totally agree, that's what I thought too as I was reading the interview. It's as if the Saab community all got together and was whispering to the interviewer's ear while he was conducting the interview.

A few questions I would have added myself:

1. "What elements defined a SAAB before its merger with GM ? What would those elements look like in the 21st century ?"
  2. "What would make a halo car for SAAB in the next 5 years ?"
  3. "What's your userID and avatar on SaabCentral ?" :lol:
saab9x said:
i was more impressed by the interviewer's breadth of questions, inferences, and 'clues' than i was with the interviewee's suv 'frothing.'

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
saab9x said:
...seems like just big and small suv's are coming out of the saab pipeline in the next 4-5 years.
Interview states:
- successor to 9-5 in 3-4 years
- AWD across entire line-up in 4-5 years
- other potential engine choices by 2010
- possibility of Sonett style concept

As far as a hatch goes ... I would think the best you could hope for is a 9-2x replacement (or maybe a 9-1 entry-level vehicle ???) that is more of a "micro-wagon" ala the Audi A3 or BMW 1-Series ... I could see them going this way, since they seem to have a stated goal of trying compete more directly against these guys anyway.

·
Registered
No current Saab, only BMW at the moment
186 Posts
He sounds like a marketing type to me. Knows what to say and how to say it without actually saying anything new or giving anything away.

While I love my 9-5s, for Saab to move forward (and maybe even survive) they desperately need a new flagship car and also need to get the rest of their range competitive.

In a press release in the last week Saab Australia have stated that so far this year they are running "over 40%" down on last year (and 39% on expected volume) - at a time when the entire vehicle market is up 5.4%

Currently a Melbourne dealer has a 2004 9-5 Arc with only 5,500km for 68% of new price (A$49,900 compared to new list of A$72,900). And there are other examples of even worse resale value.

This is typical of Saab worldwide - poor resale and plunging volume.

I hope the changes at the top actually do make a difference and Saab (with GM's support) get their act together. The 9-2X/9-7x solutions will not work long term and it appears that GM realise that. That's a start, and hopefully the first steps on Saab's recovery.

·
Registered
815 Posts
moronputz said:
In a press release in the last week Saab Australia have stated that so far this year they are running "over 40%" down on last year (and 39% on expected volume) - at a time when the entire vehicle market is up 5.4%
I know of one dealer here in Australia that has a monthly new car sales target of just 2 cars a month.

That's it.

He works in a tough market, we have fewer models here and Saab Oz has been basically inactive and unsupportive in terms of advertising etc, but when the bar is that low.....

I'd really love for Jay or someone else in a position of influence to start tapping the online community for feedback.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
no mention of any c900 successor. :cry:

but then again how could they possibly top the best designed saab ever anyway? They may as well just start producing the c900 all over again.

oh yeah and by the way I hate SUV's :evil:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here is my problem. For almost 30 years there has always been a Saab in my driveway. Other different vehicles have come and gone but the Saab was always there. GM never got the Saab loyalist. If you buy a company and want to expand your product the first rule is protect the base. The new 9-3 was a very nice car BUT where was the hatchback for us loyalists? GM CEO Rickey Waggystink did not care about Saab loyalists. Screw them. He was going to give you Sedans to take sales away from BMW. (HAHAHAHAHA that's still funny) a Bimmer driver would commit suicide before he traded in for a Saab but Ricky Waggystink can't even figure out how to sell Buicks so what would he know? Well my 96 Saab 900s is really getting long in the tooth. Still no Saab hatchback in sight. Oh excuse me, they will sell me a semi hatch Subaru with a Saab badge on it. It looks like after three decades it may be farewell Saab, hello Volvo V50. Oh I know a 9-3 Saab Combi is around the corner but I am angry at Ricky, I want a 2.0 turbo 4 hatchback or Waggystink can kiss my as# an GM can add me to their long, long, long list of lost customers. :evil:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hatch, go take a spin in a SportCombi first. Rick Wagoner will have as much awareness of your defection as he has about many other issues concerning Saab, i.e. very little, if any. So it's not him you'd be effecting in any way, just yourself. At least know what you're passing up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nope I am not contributing 10 cents to GM unless Waggystink gives us our hatch back. That stinking company can go bankrupt for all I care. Then a company with a clue might buy Saab. Besides he is on thin ice at GM. Once his 2006 900 series truck/suv's he loves goes in the tank because of high gas prices in the USA he is HISTORY.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hatch speaks for me also and many others who probably won't buy GM saabs and the sport combi is a wagon not a hatchback.

oh and btw I do like a lot about the sport combi technology wise but GM Saab hasn't designed a unique chassis since the 900 and 9000.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts