SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This from the final item in a Boston Globe auto column:

Regarding the review of the new Saab 9-3 all-wheel-drive system, is that the same system that was in the Saab 9-2?

A: No. The Saab 9-2 was basically a Subaru WRX in Saab clothing. The new Saabs will feature the latest generation of Haldex all-wheel-drive systems.

I drove the 9-2 up the Mount Washington Auto Road, at full throttle. It was a blast. I drove the new Haldex on test courses in Sweden, and it was far superior. Saab, being a small company - even though it is owned by General Motors Corp. - plans to offset the costs of developing the system by allowing other manufacturers to buy it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Of course the second Subaru or Audi(Let's be honest, 1980 was the last time Audi did anything unique) or Mitsubishi buy it, every single person in the automotive industry will immediately forget that it's all thanks to Saab.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Audi won't because they still make the best system on the market, though I'm sure the transverse-engine VAG cars or at least the R32, R36, and TT will get it. Subaru probably won't use it because they seem perfectly happy to use audi's 15 year old cast-off designs. Mitsubishi won't use it because their all-mechanical system blows it out of the water, and honda won't pick it up because their SH-AWD system does the same thing but better.

That said, I'm sure we'll be seeing it all over mazda and the european brands, along with possibly some american cars too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
What systems do the Alfa 159 and Fiat Panda use?

I ask because I read in Autocar that SAAB are a GM 'Centre of Excellence' for AWD and had a hand in both.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I know the alfa brera uses some sort of all-mechanical transverse-engine FWD-based AWD system that has a base torque split like an audi with at least 50% of the torque going to the rear wheels.

But it's all-mechanical which would make it like mitsubishi's system, not electronically controlled like hondas, haldex's, and porsche's systems.

I wouldn't be surprised to see alfa and the other european marques shift over to haldex if they aren't using it already. It's just that good and flexible of a system.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Licence said:
Fiat Panda use?
A little thing 1/2 way through the car that heats up when the front wheels slip and then the rear ones kick in, much like the last generation honda CR-V... Fun, lets you do doughnuts in the winter, but if you dont have traction control and give it too much gas, it can be more dangerous than good when the power suddenly kicks to the rear and you fishtail! GAHHH I HATE CR-V's!!!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
ACBarnett said:
Audi won't because they still make the best system on the market, though I'm sure the transverse-engine VAG cars or at least the R32, R36, and TT will get it. Subaru probably won't use it because they seem perfectly happy to use audi's 15 year old cast-off designs. Mitsubishi won't use it because their all-mechanical system blows it out of the water, and honda won't pick it up because their SH-AWD system does the same thing but better.

That said, I'm sure we'll be seeing it all over mazda and the european brands, along with possibly some american cars too.
That opinion is interesting, because the reviews I've see thus far have praised XWD, Road and Track in particular I believe said that it could be the new benchmark in AWD systems...

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
ACBarnett said:
Audi won't because they still make the best system on the market,
Heres why the Saab system is better than audis..... These both apply to snow / conditions where perfect road surfaces are not availible... snow gravel etc....

Audi:
"In off-road conditions the car will not move further when one front and one rear wheels lose traction. The reason of this behavior is that Electronic Differential Lock is not a replacement for mechanical differential lock and it is not able to transfer enough torque to another wheel. The car will end up spinning one front and one rear wheel with crackling EDL trying to stop them from spinning."

SAAB:
"Haldex XWD system delivers instant traction even if three wheels are on a slippery surface"

... three wheels spinning are better than two

Ever been in a parking lot stuck in snow because only one front and one rear wheel are spinning in your AWD vehicle? I have.... XWD has better manipluation of power.

Even audis newest haldex system suffers from this problem.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Aside from the performance comparison, the Audi Quattro system weighs much more than Saabs Haldex. Read somewhere that the Haldex only adds on 70lbs? Not sure though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It will take long time to people realise that Saab's system is not just some plain haldex copy.

And some people(even in this thread) will never understand it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts