SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah it's that time. I'm gonna do the Saab's first oil change since I bought it. I'm going to use Mobil 1 HighMileage 10w-30, it's ACEA A3 approved. But what filter should I use? I'm thinking of sticking with Mobil1 for the filter, but what size?

·
Registered
556 Posts
The Mobil 1 filter is good option if you can't get OE. I recommend using a six point socket wrench to undo the drain as there is less chance of rounding off the soft plug head. If you do have problems getting it off due to the overzealous person who previously tightened it, get a spare plug and then use a pair of vice gripes on the offending plug - set really tight. That is what I had to do (for my first oil change that is)!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Q: about franks link, do you feel that using a bigger oil filter will extend the nessisary change intervals?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Corn Cob said:
Q: about franks link, do you feel that using a bigger oil filter will extend the necessary change intervals?
No.
OCIs(oil change intervals) are determined by the contaminates(moisture) dumped into the oil with every cold start vs the run time at a normal operating temperature...GM has a system (computerized) that takes all of this into account and then it is displayed when the OC(oil change) should take place......
I use a Purolator....247 which is changed every 3 to 4 thousand miles.
One of the better filters is the Purolator One..
The German Castrol 0-40 is available at AutoZone - so I am told...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Sure but if more oil is present then it could go longer befor reaching the same contamination level. I don't think I would change my interval times anyway I was just curious.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hi Brian,

I use M1 0W40 and the M1-102 filter and have been very happy. After the rebuild, I wanted to be sure to keep the internals as clean as possible: 20k miles later, the valve cover doesn't even have enough varnish to wipe off with a paper towel. That's good in my book. I'm also a sucker for the 3k mile OCI but that's a whole different can of worms!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
radare said:
Hi Brian,

I use M1 0W40 and the M1-102 filter and have been very happy. After the rebuild, I wanted to be sure to keep the internals as clean as possible: 20k miles later, the valve cover doesn't even have enough varnish to wipe off with a paper towel. That's good in my book. I'm also a sucker for the 3k mile OCI but that's a whole different can of worms!
Thanks. I did it yesterday and that's the filter I used. I also like changing oil every 3k miles and have on every other vehicle i've had.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
01Brian said:
Thanks. I did it yesterday and that's the filter I used. I also like changing oil every 3k miles and have on every other vehicle i've had.
You are probably set in your ways, I know I am. But if you're using a synthetic, you can go much longer than 3k miles, most dinos will go easily to 5k miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts