SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I created this thread, knowing full well that at least one, quite possibly many people are going to ridicule me to my grave (this shows you how much I care).

But............

How in the hell do I get my car to do this? :cool:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uafk2wpcCTo

Childish: Yes
Classless: I believe so
Freakin sweet: Absoultely

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now I realize that in this case it could be a bad thing, but I want my car to do this on command, not when it decides to back fire. Just so we're all clear.

Thank you.
Ben

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know exactly what the kits consist of, but I believe they essentially put a spark plug in your exhaust pipe and richen the hell out of your AFR, so that when the unburnt fuel hits the spark plug in the exhaust, it makes flames.

Me personally, I'd rather have a car that spit flames because it had a lot of power/needed a lot of fuel.

Not to mention these kits are illegal for anything other than 'off-road' use.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I've heard of thee ole sparking exhaust gases trick, but I wasn't sure if their were any prerequisites that went along with it.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
3 in exhaust with no cat plus with an ecu tune from jsp and probably genuinesaab can give you that, but not as spectacularor just give your car an old school misfiring system, but your exhaust system will have to be disposable

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well im just 900 big ones away from Nordic stg. 4, so that should be enough power, but the whole back firing system doesn't quite pretty my fancy.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
it worked for older rally race cars

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Hey...if you really wanna do this...take a coleman propane tank w/a on/off valve and run it to your exhaust...then run a spark plug to a 6-volt ATV battery with a switch.

thats it...no smoking in your car though :nono; :eek:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
all cars that do that definetly dont have a spark plug in the exhaust. its a function of unburt fuel firing in the exhaust somewhere.

rally cars due it due to an anti-lag system to keep the turbo spooled when shifting.

youd have to basically run straight pipes and very rich.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
They still sell kits for it on Ebay. I forget the name, but they're pretty cheap.
maybe $20?

Mine does it all the time! It's wonderful SQR triat, I guess?
although, everyone I've raced on the highway wants to know how I shoot fire everytime I shift.

look up zilla and just flame throw exhaust, and you'll find 'em
otherwise, you'd need someone to program the ECU to dump fuel on decel.

The flames from WRC cars is antilag. they're programed to dump fuel, and retard timing with the car in motion and clutch depressed.

·
Registered
933 Posts
When I was a wee lad my dad would take me up to Mid-Ohio and I remember the Porsche 935's and 962's throwing fire like 3 feet out the tail pipe during a shift. I think even to this day those are the two coolist cars of all time, there sound, looks, and the fireballs really left an impression on me. Thats why I drive a turbo car today, so thank you Porsche for making me buy a SAAB:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it's about feul being dumped durring shifts, what if I have an automatic, would that hinder it?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
G96nt said:
They still sell kits for it on Ebay. I forget the name, but they're pretty cheap.
maybe $20?

Mine does it all the time! It's wonderful SQR triat, I guess?
although, everyone I've raced on the highway wants to know how I shoot fire everytime I shift.

look up zilla and just flame throw exhaust, and you'll find 'em
otherwise, you'd need someone to program the ECU to dump fuel on decel.

The flames from WRC cars is antilag. they're programed to dump fuel, and retard timing with the car in motion and clutch depressed.
You say yours does it all the time, so what exactly are you running that could cause it? As I said, I'll soon have close to 300hp so I should be good on that respect, but what else?

I just really want to add that extra little touch after I smash someone in a race, blowing fire at them would concrete the thoughts in their mind that they shouldn't have even tried to race me. :D

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Mine happens when I'm racing.
Full boost @ redline and a shift will do that in mine.

I have no idea how/why it happens in MY application....

and it's not in city driving, it's only when I'm racing, and I'm sure the manifold/exhaust get "mighty-hot", and the boost drops from "whatever" psi to vacuum, and the ECU can't compensate quick-enough.

·
Registered
933 Posts
So somebody said the rally cars run rich during a shift for anti lag, can the tuners set our cars up that way?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Corn Cob said:
So somebody said the rally cars run rich during a shift for anti lag, can the tuners set our cars up that way?
Explain this a bit more to me, are you saying that they run rich to keep the turbo from spooling down (hence anti lag) or are you talking about something else?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think that is what I meant? I was hoping for someone to explain it for me. I think that is the concept though.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
IIRC anti lag sets the timing very for forward and dumps fuel, causing the combustion process to occure in the turbo/or very close too it, keeping the turbo spinning at very high rpm's

1 - 20 of 45 Posts