SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Think Im gonna get an 81 toyota 4x4 pickup soon.It comes with two spare 20R engines and a spare 22R engine,as well as a spare front axle.This will be my offroad rig.Ive been watching videos and toyota's just sound like utter crap.like a mix between ricer/rubberband and diesel clatter.I was thinking after the spare motors die I could swap in a Non turbo B202 with fuel injection.make an oil pan and somehow mate the engine and transmission together.Then I would have something with alot more power,the same MPG,and a much better sound.heck it could even be the 2.1.It will be one of a kind.Until someone copies me.That and the B202 lasts about 5 times longer than a 20R or 22R.
A stock 20R makes 90 HP and 122 lb-tq,a 22R makes 96 hp.A saab B202 makes 120-140 hp.The only snag other than money,and custom parts is the fact that toyota engines run for ever.X3 and it could be a very long time indeed.
Would the saab still be just as reliable under those circumstances?
Anyone know how deep the bellhouseing on a saab b202 is?On a toyota 20R/22R?How about splines and size of toyota transmission input compared to saab clutch?

A saab powered toyota would be awesome..The much down the road I could put a saab on the toyota Frame when I get tired of the body...I know its late but I thought of it around noon today and the idea has been with me sence.What does everyone think?

·
Registered
310 Posts
i think that if you are creative and know how to weld, anything can be done.

why bother putting the project off until after you kill the three Toyota engines? i say sell them and go right for the B202 or B212.

i might expect to need to rotate the engine 180 degrees in order to be able to begin to get the engine to mate up with the trans. you will probably need a fully custom exhaust system, starting at the header, and of course the intake.

the biggest problem i can foresee is trying to mate the Toyota trans to the Saab engine. the flywheel backing plate really is not very beefy, i don't know how that would hold up. i believe bell housings are bolted directly to the block?? correct me if i am wrong.

why not just turbo or supercharge and intercool the Toyota engine? in that case, i would highly recommend holding on to the spares that come along with the truck.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I say go for thesaab swap. I saw an old jeep on ebay while back that someone had swapped in a b202 T. Apart from the engine being backwards (compared to a saab) it looked like it belonged there. I believe it was still 4wd but I can recall for sure.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
No way, don't do it. Get a fuel injected 22r (22re), you can't break it... ever.

Then do this to it:

This is Dads and my project truck.

Here is the truck itself:

BTW, the transmission mounts to the bottom of a B202. How would you make that work? You would have to swap something like a B234R from a 9k in, make a trans adaptor etc. At that point you could have had a SBC in there for thousands cheaper. :lol:

Turbo 22re = awesome.

A Saab B202 is not more reliable than a 22r. There is a video of some ******** breaking one, it snaps 2 connecting rods, shoots 2 holes in the block and still fires up and runs. I kicked the crap out of the stock 22re in that grey truck, it NEVER skipped a beat.

Nothing beats a Toyota powered Toyota, that is unless it is a diesel powered toyota, then it is just perfect.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turbos are great things but this would be an offroad rig so a turbo dosent make power where I need it .Plus I wont be getting the 81.I realized it is a total pile with the bed about to rust complety away(holes though the bed sides!!)Indeed there is more rust than metal in the bed.My mom convinced me that a 95 toyota pickup would be better because it will run forever.Considering that it was towed behind a motor home for 145K miles I tend to agree to in realilty it only has like 20-40K miles actually driving it.I will just be dept for a little longer than if I bought the 81.However the piece of mind that It will actually make it to where I need to go is worth the price
5000 for a really nice 95(the lockable hubs were harder than hell to turn because they hadnt been used that often,The 81 had mud caked on everywhere underneath it and the hubs could probally swing from lock to unlock while driving it,has seen that much use.
so 5000 for a really nice 95 or 1500 for a 81 toyota that the only thing it has going for it is 4 decent tread miss matched mud tires.The 81 is well and truely trashed.Yea its cheaper but Ive already played the game of buy a cheap 4x4 only to have it broke more often than when it ran.So I will probally go for the 95.My subaru I bought strickly for offroading I owned for 6 months and went offroading 3 times it was broken so much of the time.I would rather pay more for something I can go offroading every weekend.Now that the new toyota is so much heavier the only engine I would swap it would be a fast spooling twin turbo 4.3V6 or a V8 of some sort.Maybe dodge just to be different.Fort the most part I am quite happy the 95 has a 4 banger.Iam buying to toyota for good gas mpg and 4x4,and that its durable as all hell.if I wanted a V8 i would just get a fullsize truck.

sorry that was long.

I think the 95 has the 22R-E and a 5 speed.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Something you can take offroading every weekend is not going to cost you $1,500. Offroading is another hobby of mine. Off roading with a turbo 4 cyl is actually quite cool. You can use the power of the N/A 4, but when you get stuck just ease into the accelerator for the extra power.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe over there but any decent offroad rig over here is treated like gold
2500 is the minimum you want to pay for a toyota over here.Other wise they are junk.I wish they wernt so overpriced here though.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Yeah, thats what I was saying. Having a decent rig that you can drive to the trail, then does the trail well, is usually a Toyota with a solid axle and a few inches of lift.

Got my 1993 Toyota Pickup 100% rust free Florida car (With A/C!!!! rareee) for $4200 a few years back.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ive got a first generation 4runner with a 22re. And have been contemplating a few different things. The 22rte turbo motor is nice, but rare. Think about it... When your off roading, your 90% crawling.. 2000 maybe 2500 rpm. Your not going to be 'in the boost' very much. With those little trucks its all about gear reduction. Seriously. the 20/22r series motors are bomb proof. Your money would be better spent on a second transfer case, and adapter. Check out www.allprooffroad.com

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
You are expecting the R to break? No Toyota pickups and R engines never break. You can change the oil with sand instead of oil and fill the tank with piss and it will run :p

Al-Qaeda always drives those Toyoters

·
Registered
5 Posts
sweet to see some yota fans. I just recently bought a 1992 900t. I am selling the fj60 for some saab mod money and season ski pass. But, the 85 22re 4runner will stay around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts