SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I would like to introduce my little project saablin.net.
It is still under development, but it will be finished soon.

Regards,
Rass.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Rass
This looks amazing!!! Tell me more of how this works. I have never used a Canusb... is this to interface music on your laptop to your SAAB audio system in the car or can you store the music on something else?
Please explain
Thanks for the good work.
People like you make SAABs even more fun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rass
This looks amazing!!! Tell me more of how this works. I have never used a Canusb... is this to interface music on your laptop to your SAAB audio system in the car or can you store the music on something else?
Please explain
Thanks for the good work.
People like you make SAABs even more fun.
Thanks.
For more info please look to the documentation or videos.
I am using Linux PC is based on Intel atom mini-itx,
but of course also notebook can be used.
So mini computer is installed in car.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Interested as well. Very curious. Can this be adapted to anything other than a laptop or netbook?

·
Registered
133 Posts
He's using the lawicel CANUSB adapter, so I'd assume that you need a setup that can run linux (he's using slackware) and has a USB port.

The latest messages on his site say that he is reverse engineering the CD changer protocols. I hope it can be as easy as plugging into the CD changer port.

He's using this board with a small hard drive. http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/D510MO/D510MO-overview.htm

I'd imagine that I'd add a USB wireless adapter to copy files to the car from my home network :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Thanks a lot :)
Nice to read your comments.

I can provide in future pre-installed images with Linux and saablin.

I am using 300gig hard drive so I copied to saablin all my home music.
But of course wifi can be option to copy music to saablin box.

To laptop question, saablin is designed on mini-itx board, but of course any computer with usb can be used.
I choice that intel mini-itx, because it's cheap and has passive cooling and has hd audio.
Good enough for in-car audio.

For any question just send me mail to "info at saablin.net" or post comment to forum on saablin page.

CD changer simulation will be finished soon, so saablin will be connected like original CD changer.

Rass.

G

·
CD changer simulation will be finished soon, so saablin will be connected like original CD changer.
This is a very interesting project. I am looking for ways to connect a music player to the cd-changer line-in. You mentioned in your blog you have that successfully set up.

http://saablin.net/

I did next successful tests with saablin as cd changer. V2 version buttons was remapped from SID to Head Unit and steering wheel buttons. I also finished balanced audio drivers and I have saablin connected to cd changer line-in now.
Are there any special tricks to the CDC line-in? Can you just connect a music player to this? I am assuming you're just using the line-out from your PC board or not?

I imagine another issue would be to trick the head unit the CDC changer is on.

Perhaps it's not as easy as I think it is.. :lol:

2. CD changer connection. In this config is used balanced audio line drivers and V2 SW is updated to activate cdc line-in. Also buttons is updated to use head unit and steering wheel, not SID buttons like in V2 version. For more info check SW section.
For balanced audio I am using chips DVR134PA from Texas Instrument. There is also possibility to use some OP amps to convert normal audio from sound card to balanced audio, but with dvr134 is really easy, more or less no external components and great audio parameters. So here is catalogue scheme, I just added 100n capacitors to power supply. Capacitors c3,c4 and c10,c11 is not used. So 1-2 and 7-8 pins are connected directly. For more details please check datasheet for dvr134. Chips are connected to saablin M2 mini-itx power supply to +- 12V.
Keep up the good work! Let us know when we can buy the linux car-pc we just have to plug in and everything will work. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a very interesting project. I am looking for ways to connect a music player to the cd-changer line-in. You mentioned in your blog you have that successfully set up.

Are there any special tricks to the CDC line-in? Can you just connect a music player to this? I am assuming you're just using the line-out from your PC board or not?

Keep up the good work! Let us know when we can buy the linux car-pc we just have to plug in and everything will work. ;)

Hi,

Thanks.
Special trick to activate CDC line-in is, that you must send in loop messages in defined flow. This activate CDC line-in. So you can connect audio player to CDC line-in, but this player must be able generate CAN bus messages to activate line-in.
Regarding sell complete car-pc, I will think about that.

Rass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hi,

Thanks.
Special trick to activate CDC line-in is, that you must send in loop cdc messages in defined flow. This activate CDC line-in. So you can connect audio player to CDC line-in, but this player must be able generate CAN bus messages to activate line-in. Regarding line-out, you must convert audio signal from sound card to balanced audio.

Regarding sell complete car-pc, I will think about that :)

Rass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

Thanks.
Special trick to activate CDC line-in is, that you must send in loop cdc messages in defined flow. This activate CDC line-in. So you can connect audio player to CDC line-in, but this player must be able generate CAN bus messages to activate line-in. Regarding line-out, you must convert audio signal from sound card to balanced audio.

Regarding sell complete car-pc, I will think about that :)

Rass.

G

·
Here is another idea.. ;)

If you just leave the CD Changer connected to everything but disconnect the line-in from the CD changer to the head unit. Would the head-unit still think the CD-changer is playing fine and activate the line-in? If so, can you hook up a different audio source to the line-in and the head unit will let the sound signal from that audio source play?

You mentioned the head unit needs balanced audio but I don't know what that is. Is the headphone-out from a music player balanced audio? Or perhaps output from an iPod through the dock connector?

·
Registered
133 Posts
It would work if the audio is converted from your device to balanced audio. The audio from an i-pod for example is unbalanced, meaning that there is 1 wire per channel and the voltage on the wire is with reference to ground. This works fine, but is more susceptible to noise. Balanced audio has 2 wires per channel, one is positive and one is negative. The voltage is instead measured between the two wires. This provides for better resistance to noise when you use long cables.

Check this for more info
http://www.mitt-eget.com/saab/faq_audio.shtml#balanced_to_se

But you would just listen to what is coming out of the player. The buttons would have no effect (volume would work). So you would have an expensive cd changer doing nothing... not ideal in my mind :p

G

·
But you would just listen to what is coming out of the player. The buttons would have no effect (volume would work). So you would have an expensive cd changer doing nothing... not ideal in my mind :p
Thanks, that was helpful info. All I really care about is a line-in into the factory head unit. If I have that, the CD-changer wouldn't be needed anymore. Or you could make it so you can switch the line-in between the changer and an external audio source.

So how to convert the iPod output to balanced audio..

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
This is awesome. I'm not very good with stuff like this, but would love to try.

If anybody does this and can do simple enough step-by-step directions, that would be fantastic.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, if you feel like tackling this, I'm sure there will be plenty of help along the way. I would have no problem answering questions about this project.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm interested in the project and I think I understand how everything is setup.

My current question is about powering a laptop in the trunk. I have a old IBM T20 laptop with a serial port and Puppy Linux installed. Puppy Linux is a tiny distro that fits on about 100 or so megabytes so it boots quickly, has a tiny footprint, perfect for older machines (http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview and Getting Started.htm).
So I'm thinking that this setup may be a perfect candidate for the project but I'm just not sure how it would be powered and what are the disadvantages to it compared to a atx based power supply and mini computer?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts