SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Saab plastic emblem that attaches (somehow) to the center of my tire him feel off while washing it at the car wash the other day... does this simply "snap" back on? If so, I don't see how it does and stays stable -- there is not teeth or similar to affix to the wheel? Or is there some adhesive that is needed to attach it properly? If that is the case, what kind of adhesive/ epoxy, do you recommend?

Not sure if anyone has ever encountered this issue.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had to get new center caps as mine was lost. Any two part for plastic should work.
If I were you I would pull out the black plastic center cap from the wheel and glue it back together on the kitchen table.
Let it sit overnight and put it back in the morning.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahhh, thank you. i did not realize that center black circular piece was removebale. would have been real funny me sitting out in parking lot waiting with my hand on cap waiting for epoxy to bond.

does the black center cap just pop off with flat head or something similar? or is there some trick that i should know?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How in the heck did you get that black center piece off... I tried and tried and I couldn't get any leverage on that sucker. grrr.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yeah if you can't get it by nudging it out with a s/d you might have to take off the wheel and push it out from the back.
Good job for Saturday am.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This may be a very stupid question but, if one were to take off the wheel do I need to get a realignment done? or does one have nothing to do with the other.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just for future reference, I will mention this about any cosmetic items that may come loose or fall off of a car (especially emblems and trim).

3M makes some amazing adhesive tapes, which we typically use. Although we don't use them for automotive purposes in our work, these tapes were designed for that.

We use them for bonding alot of aluminum, as well as plastics, acrylic and even wood.

Once stuck together, we have to use crowbars to separate 2 pieces of metal and the thinnest of the two pieces will be destroyed in the process, as well as splinter 2x4s and plywood and never let go. It has always outperformed any epoxy we have ever used as well.

A forewarning about it though. Once it is stuck, it is stuck. we've everything short of acid to break it's bond and nothing seems to work. Even 3M doesnt have anything to dissolve it. We've even used cutting torches on it and it only turns into a sticky goo while very hot then goes right back to glue when it cools. We have signs put together with this stuff in the African Desert and they wont come apart (actually heat will make it bond even stronger over time)

We use the 300MP and 200MP adhesive tapes, and it can be gotten in large rolls or small rolls ranging from 4ft+ wide to 1" wide. It isnt cheap, but works wonders. I think you can get the small rolls for $20-$30 though.

I've used it myself for putting emblems, side trim, wheel well trim and interior items back on.

We also use another brand on occassion called SpecTape as it is a little cheaper but it doesnt quite stick as well I dont think.

You wont find these tapes at any normal places, like auto parts stores, but places like Grainger sells it.

For anyone needing a quick and clean way to re-attach such things (not just cars), or even mechanic's shops, it is quite handy and quick. It doesnt need any setup time, once it is stuck on it is on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts